1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the friction before slipping

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a string that is attached to a bar as shown below in the picture. What is the coefficient friction between the bar and floor before bar starts slipping.
    Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...t-of-friction-using-torque-and-forces.723351/

3ebcd17e8b532329dde12bc2534a4a32.png

2. Relevant equations
    Moment which is
    moment (torque) = F r (position)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have chosen a pivot point about the point where the bar contacts with the ground.

The equation for the torque about the point where bar contacts with the ground ->
    - mg *1.4863 - T*1.814989 = 0
    I found 1.814989 by using the cross product.

Then
    Fx = 0
    -Tsin21 - f(friction) = 0
    -Tsin21 - u(coefficient of friction) *N = 0

Fy = 0
    -mg + N + T*cos21 = 0

Now, i'm stuck and i don't how to proceed further. Also, i'm confused about this part ->
    So the formula for friction is f = u*N, is N equals to mg ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not always, and not in this instance.
    The normal force from a solid surface is the minimum magnitude force necessary to prevent the object penetrating the surface.

The signs look a bit odd in your equations, but I'm not sure what conventions you've adopted. It might all come out ok.

4. Nov 11, 2015 #3
    So if normal force in this case is not equal to m*g, can i solve this problem with 5 unknowns?

5. Nov 11, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I assume you mean T, n, u, m and f (friction).
    You have four equations.
    It can happen that you have enough information to determine some unknowns but not all.
    In the present case, T and m are the only unknowns which involve a mass dimension, so you can find the ratio of those but not their individual values. This leaves you with only four unknowns, effectively.

6. Nov 11, 2015 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You will find that m cancels.

7. Nov 11, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, not exactly. See my post #4.

8. Nov 11, 2015 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When the bar just starts to slip the friction is μN. The task is to find μ. It is not needed to know T or m. It is a homogeneous system of equations, the determinant should be zero, you get μ from this condition.

9. Nov 11, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure, but Jack lists T and m as unknowns. So what will actually happen is that these will reduce to a single unknown T/m. That is not quite the same as saying m will cancel out.

10. Nov 12, 2015 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is also needed to use N/m an unknown instead of N. That is, we can choose m arbitrary,
    If you choose to solve the system of equation by eliminating N first then T you are left with an equation of form m f(μ) = 0, wich can be divided by m.

11. Nov 12, 2015 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, I missed that one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted