1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Fundamental Solutions of a Third Order ODE

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the fundamental solution to ty''' - y'' = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I'm missing something really obvious, but I have the characteristic polynomial:
    [itex] t\lambda^3 - \lambda^2 = 0 [/itex]
    Solving the equation:
    [itex] \lambda^2 (t\lambda - 1) = 0 [/itex]
    I get zero repeated twice, so two of the fundamental solutions are 1 and t.
    The third solution is [itex] \frac {1}{t} [/itex] to solve the equation, but substituting it in, I get the fundamental solution as e.
    However, the right solution is [itex] t^3 [/itex].
    Did I miss something? Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not a constant-coefficient linear de, with solutions in form ##e^{\lambda t}##, with ##\lambda## a constant. Lambda can not be 1/t.

You can replace y"=u, a new function and solve for u(t). Then integral twice.

ehild

4. Oct 18, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. The characteristic polynomial method only works for ODEs with constant coefficients. t is not a constant here.

5. Oct 18, 2014 #4
    Thanks for all your help! So I ended up solving the first order linear, and getting u(t) = t, which means y'' = t. Taking the integral twice, I'm getting:

y = [itex] \frac {t^3}{6} + C_1 t + C_2 [/itex]

I kind of understand what's happening now, so [itex] \frac {1}{6} [/itex] is my [itex] C_3 [/itex]?

6. Oct 18, 2014 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You didn't show your work so It's hard to tell, but I think you are missing a constant in your work to get ##u(t)=t##.

There is another way to solve the problem that you might find interesting. Multiply your equation through by ##t^2## then look for a solution in the form ##y=t^n## for unknown ##n## and see what ##n##'s work.

7. Oct 18, 2014 #6
    No. The original equation is a linear equation, so if f(t) is a solution, so is Cf(t). Your [itex] C_3 [/itex] is just [itex] C_3 [/itex].

8. Oct 18, 2014 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you mean what I think you mean, you are wrong. His ##t^3/6## should be ##C_3t^3##.

9. Oct 18, 2014 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integration constant is missing here. U(t)=C t.

It would be [itex]y = C\frac {t^3}{6} + C_1 t + C_2 [/itex]

You can take C3=C/6, and then the general solution is y=C1t+C2+C3t3.
    Each term of the sum is a solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted