Finding the hange in inetic energy

• Thread starter sylavel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the car has a mass of 1609 kg and a speed of 11.9 m/s before hitting a tree, and comes to rest after impact. Using the equation KE=1/2mv^2, the change in kinetic energy can be calculated by finding the difference between the initial KE of 113925.245 J and the final KE of 0 J. Therefore, the change in kinetic energy of the car is 113925.245 J.
sylavel

Homework Statement

A 1609 kg car has a speed of 11.9 m/s when it hits a tree. The tree doesn't move and the car comes to rest.
Find the change in kinetic energy of the car. Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so like I am not completely sure where to go here...
I started out in finding the kinetic energy
KE=1/2(1609)(11.9)^2=113925.245
Any help would be super awesome.

Physics news on Phys.org
sylavel said:

Homework Statement

A 1609 kg car has a speed of 11.9 m/s when it hits a tree. The tree doesn't move and the car comes to rest.
Find the change in kinetic energy of the car. Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so like I am not completely sure where to go here...
I started out in finding the kinetic energy
KE=1/2(1609)(11.9)^2=113925.245
Any help would be super awesome.

OK You found the Kinetic energy for before impact.

What is the KE after impact? What is v?

What is the difference?

Thanks!

I would like to clarify a few things before providing a response. Firstly, it is important to state the unit of mass and velocity in the equation for kinetic energy, which is KE=1/2mv^2. In this case, the mass would be in kilograms (kg) and velocity in meters per second (m/s). Secondly, it is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation to ensure accurate results.

Now, to answer the question, we can use the equation for change in kinetic energy, which is given by ΔKE= KEfinal - KEinitial. In this case, the car comes to rest after hitting the tree, so the final kinetic energy would be zero. Therefore, the change in kinetic energy of the car would be:

ΔKE = 0 - 113925.245 J = -113925.245 J

Note that the negative sign indicates that there is a decrease in kinetic energy, as the car's initial kinetic energy was greater than zero. I hope this helps clarify the concept of change in kinetic energy for you.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2, where mass is in kilograms and velocity is in meters per second.

3. How can kinetic energy change?

Kinetic energy can change by changing the mass or velocity of an object. It can also change due to external forces acting on the object, such as friction or gravity.

4. What is the conservation of kinetic energy?

The conservation of kinetic energy is the principle that states that the total amount of kinetic energy in a closed system remains constant, unless acted upon by external forces.

5. How is kinetic energy related to work and power?

Kinetic energy is related to work and power through the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.