1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the joint moment generating function given the joint PDF

1. Mar 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

attachment.php?attachmentid=68177&stc=1&d=1396257940.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=68178&stc=1&d=1396258056.jpg

The problem is the integral is non-elementary, so now what? Part (b) follows trivially from part (a). But is there some kind of shortcut I have to take, because no matter what substitution I do, the integral needs to be written in terms of the error function, which is out of the scope of this course. Any hints would be great. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

Try something.
    Try integrating over x for example.
    You will be surprised.

4. Mar 31, 2014 #3
    it seems something will just "vanish" but i can't find what, mainly because there is always the factor of e^x in there that gets in the way. I realize that it looks like a bivariate normal distribution though...

5. Mar 31, 2014 #4

maajdl

Gold Member

Try integrating on x, as a start.
    Since the integration spans [-Inf, +Inf], you will end up with a definite integral.
    Alternatively, you might re-use known results on Laplace transforms.
    See for example:

http://planetmath.org/laplacetransformofagaussianfunction

Proving what you find there is not difficult and could be interesting.

Other hint: 2bx + x² = (x+b)² - b²

6. Mar 31, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do the x-integration first; it has the form
    [tex] G(t,y) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-y} e^{tx} e^{-(x-y)^2/2}/\sqrt{2 \pi} \, dx [/tex]
    Basically, this is a standard Gaussian integral, and it can be done in closed form because the integration limits are ##\pm \infty##. See. eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral .

7. Apr 1, 2014 #6
    to me, e^-(x-y)^2 looks like a gaussian integral. but with the extra e^(tx), it no longer looks like a "standard" gaussian integral. of course i can see that because the limits are +/- infinity, that the x integration is just gonna give root pi, or 1 or something stupid easy, but i'm not terribly familiar with WHAT the actual volume is under the 3d graph of a standard gaussian, let alone a gaussian with an extra e^(tx) in it...

8. Apr 1, 2014 #7
    wolfram gives

http://www4b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP11611geaf4ba3b24ad0800005cf7hi62g6gf6c5i?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=23&w=230.&h=49. [Broken]

as the integral wrt x. i can't "see" that. but it looks like it follows from maajdl's suggestion....

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Apr 1, 2014 #8

maajdl

Gold Member

First perform the first integral.
    If you want to walk, you need a first step.
    And you will see that the second will be much easier than the first step.

That's really a general rule: don't delay the first for the reason that you do not trust the second step.

10. Apr 1, 2014 #9

maajdl

Gold Member

You didn't write here the step where you experience a difficulty.
    I can a most guess what is your problem (if any).
    Therefore, I add this hint:

Exp(-2bx - (x+c)²) = Exp(-(x+b+c)² + b²) = Exp(-z²+b²) = Exp(b²) Exp(-z²)
    where z = x+b+c

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted