Finding the generator function for 4 variables

In summary, to prove that the given transformation is canonical, we need to show that ##dF = \sum_i p_i dq_i - P_i dQ_i## can be written as a total differential ##dF##. The approach suggested is to express all ##dQ_i, dP_i## in terms of ##dq_i, dp_i## and simplify, eventually leading to ##dF = d(p_2q_2 + 2p_2q_1)##. By comparing this to the definition of a generating function, we can conclude that ##F(P_2, p_2) = -p_2P_2##, satisfying the requirement for a generating function. However, it is
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Generating function
Relevant Equations
Prove directly that the transformation $$Q_{1} = q_{1}, P_{1} = p_{1} − 2p_{2}$$ $$Q_{2} = p_{2}, P_{2} = −2q_{1} − q_{2}$$ is canonical and find a generating functionSo the first part is easy and can be skipped here. I have some difficults regarding the second part, namely, the one that ask for the generator function.

My approach was to evaluate the object ##\sum_i p_i dq_i - P_i dQ_i##, i have read at MG Calkin that if this object can be written as a total differential ##dF##, this one is (can be) the generating function.

So, expandin the differential, i have got that ##\sum_i p_i dq_i - P_i dQ_i = d(p_2q_2 + 2p_2q_1) \implies F = F(P_2,p_2) = -p_2P_2##.

What do you think? is it ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: Generating function
Relevant Equations:: .

Prove directly that the transformation $$Q_{1} = q_{1}, P_{1} = p_{1} − 2p_{2}$$ $$Q_{2} = p_{2}, P_{2} = −2q_{1} − q_{2}$$ is canonical and find a generating functionSo the first part is easy and can be skipped here. I have some difficults regarding the second part, namely, the one that ask for the generator function.

My approach was to evaluate the object ##\sum_i p_i dq_i - P_i dQ_i##, i have read at MG Calkin that if this object can be written as a total differential ##dF##, this one is (can be) the generating function.

So, expandin the differential, i have got that ##\sum_i p_i dq_i - P_i dQ_i = d(p_2q_2 + 2p_2q_1) \implies F = F(P_2,p_2) = -p_2P_2##.

What do you think? is it ok?
It looks like you have omitted a lot of work.
Starting from ##dF = \sum_i p_i dq_i - P_i dQ_i##, how did you arrive at ##dF = d(p_2q_2 + 2p_2q_1)## and then to ##F(P_2,p_2) = -p_2P_2##?

Mark44 said:
It looks like you have omitted a lot of work.
Starting from ##dF = \sum_i p_i dq_i - P_i dQ_i##, how did you arrive at ##dF = d(p_2q_2 + 2p_2q_1)## and then to ##F(P_2,p_2) = -p_2P_2##?
Yes. Actually, i have just expressed all ##dQ_i, dP_i## in ##dF = \sum_i p_i dq_i - P_i dQ_i## in terms of ##dq_i, dp_i##. Eventually some terms cut off and we can express the results as ##dF = d(p_2q_2 + 2p_2q_1)##.
Now, ##d(p_2q_2 + 2p_2q_1) = d(p_2(-P_2))## from the summary, so i just concluded that ##F(P_2,p_2) = -p_2P_2##

Herculi said:
Yes. Actually, i have just expressed all ##dQ_i, dP_i## in ##dF = \sum_i p_i dq_i - P_i dQ_i## in terms of ##dq_i, dp_i##. Eventually some terms cut off and we can express the results as ##dF = d(p_2q_2 + 2p_2q_1)##.
"Eventually" is what I'm asking you to elaborate on.
Herculi said:
Now, ##d(p_2q_2 + 2p_2q_1) = d(p_2(-P_2))## from the summary, so i just concluded that ##F(P_2,p_2) = -p_2P_2##

1. What is a generator function?

A generator function is a special type of function in programming that can be paused and resumed at any point during its execution. It allows for the generation of a sequence of values, instead of returning a single value like a regular function.

2. How many variables can a generator function have?

A generator function can have any number of variables, including 4. The number of variables depends on the specific needs of the function and the data being processed.

3. Why is it important to find the generator function for 4 variables?

Finding the generator function for 4 variables is important because it allows for the efficient and dynamic generation of a sequence of values. This can be useful in various applications, such as data processing, simulations, and algorithms.

4. How do you find the generator function for 4 variables?

The process of finding the generator function for 4 variables involves identifying the variables and their relationships, determining the appropriate syntax for the function, and writing the code using a programming language. It may require some trial and error and testing to ensure the function works as intended.

5. What are some potential challenges in finding the generator function for 4 variables?

Some potential challenges in finding the generator function for 4 variables include determining the correct syntax and logic for the function, handling errors and edge cases, and optimizing the function for efficiency and performance. It may also require a strong understanding of programming concepts and the specific programming language being used.