1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the largest value of delta greater than 0

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For f(x) = sqrt(27-x), L=4, x_0 = 11 epsilon = 1, find the largest value of delta > 0 in the formal definition of a limit which ensures that |f(x) - L| < epsilon

2. Relevant equations

the formal def. of a limit:
    lim x->x_0 F(x) = L if, for every number epsilon > 0, there exists a corresponding number delta>0 such that
    0<|x-x_0| < delta implies |f(x) - L| < epsilon

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried plugging multiple different things in to the equations, but i, sadly, have no idea what i'm doing.

0 < |x-11| < epsilon and |sqrt(27-x) - 4| < 1.

Attempting to solve the second equation i get x>2. If i plug that into the first equation i got -9. But that is definitely not the answer. I just don't know what all these numbers mean.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about solving [itex]\displaystyle |\sqrt{27-x\ } - 4| = 1[/itex] for x, to start things off ?

4. Sep 10, 2012 #3
    Do you mind if i walk you through my steps, if i make a mistake it should be easier to pinpoint the area :)

So |sqrt(27-x)-4| < 1
    - add 4 to both sides

|sqrt(27-x)| < 5
    -get rid of the square root

|27-x|< 25
    -subtract 27 from each side

|-x| < -2

- and here is where i'm having my first problem. Do i multiply both sides by a negative allowing x to be a positive variable? Or do the absolute value signs take care of the negative variable?

5. Sep 10, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let me repeat,
    Solve [itex]\displaystyle |\sqrt{27-x\ } - 4| = 1[/itex] for x.​

But if you insist, you can solve the inequality. Just be careful. That is trickier.

At any rate:
    [itex]\displaystyle |\sqrt{27-x\ } - 4|+4\ne |\sqrt{27-x\ }|[/itex]​

If [itex]\displaystyle |\sqrt{27-x\ } - 4| < 1[/itex]

then [itex]\displaystyle -1<\sqrt{27-x\ } - 4 < 1\ .[/itex]

Can you continue from there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook