Finding the Limit of a Fibonacci Series

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter tehno
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 9K views
tehno
Messages
375
Reaction score
0
Let:
[tex]a_{1}=a_{2}=1;a_{n+2}=a_{n+1}+a_{n};n\geq 1[/tex]

Let [itex]f_{n}[/itex] be the last digit in decimal notation
of Fibonacci number [itex]a_{n}[/itex].
Find:

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_{1}+a_{2}+...+a_{n}}{n}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By theory, there is no limit to Fibonacci, unless I'm mistaken.

The sequence wouldn't be a sequence if there was a limit.
 
chuckd1356 said:
By theory, there is no limit to Fibonacci, unless I'm mistaken.

The sequence wouldn't be a sequence if there was a limit.
That doesn't quite make sense. A fair part of Calculus courses is devoted to limits of sequences! Of course, the Fibonacci sequence is increasing without upperbound so it has no limit. But the question is about the nth partial sum divided by n. That's a whole different matter.
 
HallsofIvy said:
That doesn't quite make sense. A fair part of Calculus courses is devoted to limits of sequences! Of course, the Fibonacci sequence is increasing without upperbound so it has no limit. But the question is about the nth partial sum divided by n. That's a whole different matter.

That's what I was getting at, thanks for clarifying!
 
The question is about the final digits, which are periodic with period 60. The sum of the 60 values is ***, so the average value at the limit is ***/60.

(It's not hard to calculate this, so I left it as an exercise. I can check it if you think you have an answer.)
 
correction (+ solution)

Let:
[tex]a_{1}=a_{2}=1;a_{n+2}=a_{n+1}+a_{n};n\geq 1[/tex]

Let [itex]f_{n}[/itex] be the last digit in decimal notation
of Fibonacci number [itex]a_{n}[/itex].

Find:

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{f_{1}+f_{2}+...+f_{n}}{n}[/tex]

My apology for the confusion I made.


EDIT:
Yes the key for the solution is "***/60".
IOW ,[itex]f_{1}=f_{61},f_{2}=..etc.[/itex]
I get:
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{f_{1}+f_{2}+...+f_{n}}{n}=\frac{14}{3}[/tex]
 
Last edited: