1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the limit of a quotient as x goes to minus infinity

1. Sep 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the limit
    $$\lim_{x\to-\infty} \frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3 + 9}$$

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    To solve this, I start off by dividing everything by ##x^3##:
    Numerator becomes ##\frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3} = \sqrt{\frac{9x^6 - x}{x^6}} = \sqrt{9 - \frac{1}{x^5}}##
    Denominator becomes ##\frac{x^3 + 9}{x^3} = 1 + \frac{9}{x^3}##
    As ##x## approaches ##-\infty##:
    Numerator becomes ##\sqrt{9 - 0} = \sqrt{9} = 3##
    Denominator becomes ##1 + 0 = 1##
    So, the entire limit should evaluate to ##\frac{\sqrt{9}}{1} = 3##. Yet this is not the case. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is not correct if ##x## is negative. How should you adjust it for ##x## negative?

4. Sep 27, 2016 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yet this is not the case. Why not? That's the only thing wrong I can see.

5. Sep 27, 2016 #4
    Ah, now I remember. Because ##x## is approaching minus infinity, it will be negative: ##x^3## should be negative if ##x## is negative, but ##x^6## would return a positive number. So, I just need to switch the sign in that equation, right? ##\frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3} = -\sqrt{\frac{9x^6 - x}{x^6}}## Therefore the answer is -3, not 3.

I don't know why, but I always forget to consider positives/negatives when working around square roots. Thanks a bunch for your clarification!

6. Sep 27, 2016 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hope you don't feel so alone now. :redface:

7. Sep 28, 2016 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

##\frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3} = \frac{|x^3|\sqrt{9 - \frac 1 {x^5}}}{x^3}##
    The fraction ##\frac{|x^3|}{x^3}## evaluates to -1 if x < 0, and 1 if x > 0.

8. Sep 28, 2016 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sometimes it helps to convert everything to positives, by putting ##x = -t## and taking ##t \to +\infty##. That does not really change anything, but it eliminates one possible source of confusion/error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted