1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the limit without L'Hôpital's rule

1. Jan 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Required to prove that
    [itex]
    \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} ((1 - \frac{1}{n^2})^{n}) = 1
    [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} ((1 + \frac{1}{n})^{n})[/itex] is bounded above by e. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but it was the first part of the question, so I'd assume so?

Also, we haven't proved L'Hopital's rule yet, so I can't use that.

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking to maybe try and write it in a similar way to the first part.

So: [itex]
    \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} (((1 + \frac{1}{-(n^2)})^{-(n^2)})^{\frac{-1}{n}})
    [/itex]

But, as n tends to infinity [itex]-n^2[/itex] tends to negative infinity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Try the generalised binomial theorem. If you want to prove rigorously that all the terms except the first go to zero at the limit, use the squeeze theorem.

4. Jan 13, 2013 #3
    yes, it is relevant...firstly, u should understand why [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} ((1 + \frac{1}{n})^{n}) = e [/itex] then u can solve this question easily..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook