Finding the magnitude and direction of the electric field

In summary, the conversation involves finding the magnitude and direction of the electric field at point P due to two charges. The direction of the electric field is determined by the charges present, with positive charges pointing towards the East and negative charges pointing towards the South. Converting units may affect the final answer, so it is important to double check the conversion.
cvc121

Homework Statement

13. Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at P due to the two charges shown.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached both the question, which involves a diagram, as well as my attempt at the answer below. My first question is regarding direction. Since the charge on point P is not known, how do you know the directions of the other two charges in order to draw the vector diagram if you don't know whether they attract or repel P? Also, the answer given is 1.87 x 10^10 N/C [E 15.5 S] but I get the answer to the power of 22. All help is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160229_212057[1].jpg
    20160229_212057[1].jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 372
  • 20160229_212204[1].jpg
    20160229_212204[1].jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no charge at point P. It is just a point under influence of the electric fields of the two charges.

Oh, okay. But then how do you determine the directions in order to draw the vector diagram? Is a positive charge always towards the East and a negative charge South, in this case? Also, is my answer to the power of 22 correct because I am certain that you need to convert microcoulombs to coulombs and mm to m.

cvc121 said:
Is a positive charge always towards the East and a negative charge South, in this case?
In this case, yes. Field lines of +ve charge are away from the charge and field lines of -ve charge are towards the charge.
cvc121 said:
Also, is my answer to the power of 22 correct because I am certain that you need to convert microcoulombs to coulombs and mm to m.
I haven't calculated the answer. But if converting the units gives you 1022, then you should go with that answer.

cvc121: What's the power of ten exponent for the micro (μ) prefix? Don't confuse micro with mega !

1. What is the electric field?

The electric field is a physical property that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force experienced by a charged particle, and q is the charge of the particle.

3. What units are used to measure the electric field?

The electric field is typically measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).

4. What is the direction of the electric field?

The direction of the electric field is defined as the direction in which a positively charged particle would move if placed in the field. It is represented by arrows pointing away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

5. How is the electric field represented graphically?

The electric field is typically represented graphically using field lines. These lines show the direction and strength of the electric field at different points in space. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field is at that point.