Finding the magnitude of impulse

In summary, the magnitude of the impulse required to increase a proton's speed from 0.991c to 0.994c is 1.53e-21. However, the Lorentz transformation may also need to be taken into consideration.
oalanojr

Homework Statement

A proton has mass 1.7×10−27 kg. What is the magnitude of the impulse required to increase its speed from 0.991c to 0.994c?

Homework Equations

[tex]Impulse = mV_f{}-mV_i{}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]Impulse = mV_f{}-mV_i{}[/tex]
[tex]= 1.7e-27*(.994*3e8)-(1.7e-27*(.991*3e8))[/tex]
[tex]= 5.0694e-19 -5.0541e-19[/tex]
[tex]Impulse = 1.53e-21[/tex]

I've triple checked my work and I still come up with the same wrong answer. Am I missing something here??

Physics news on Phys.org
You may need to use the Lorentz transformation since the velocities are near c.

[tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

You may need to check over that formula for me since I may have typed it in incorrectly.

oh i totally forgot about gamma portion of the equation! Thanks for the help!

1. What is the definition of impulse in physics?

Impulse is defined as the change in momentum of an object over a certain period of time. It is equal to the force applied to the object multiplied by the time over which the force is applied.

2. How is impulse related to the concept of momentum?

Impulse and momentum are closely related, as impulse is the change in momentum of an object. This means that a larger impulse will result in a greater change in an object's momentum.

3. How is the magnitude of impulse calculated?

The magnitude of impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time over which the force is applied. This can be written as J = FΔt, where J is the impulse, F is the force, and Δt is the time interval.

4. Can the magnitude of impulse be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of impulse can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of its initial velocity, resulting in a decrease in momentum.

5. What is the SI unit for impulse?

The SI unit for impulse is Newton-second (N*s), which is equivalent to kg*m/s. This unit is derived from the equation J = FΔt, where force is measured in Newtons (N) and time is measured in seconds (s).