Finding the magnitude of the friction force.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
Ripe
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An 8kg ball moves down a 12m high inclined plane with a speed of 6m/s. By the time it reaches the bottom, the speed is measured to be 12m/s. What is the frictional force opposing the motion? The inclined plane has an angle of 30 degrees with respect to the ground.

Homework Equations



Potential energy = mgh
Kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2
Work done by external forces = ΔE
Work done: Fs (or Fscos(theta))

The Attempt at a Solution



The first step is to calculate the potential energy and kinetic energy, which is 960J and 576J respectively. Hence ΔE=960-576=384J.

Now, since the height is 12m and the angle is 30 degrees, the length of the inclined plane is 12/sin30 or 24m.

Finally, 24f=384 which yields an answer for f as 16N.

I might have gotten the correct answer, but in the book it says that the answer is supposed to be 22N, so I'm assuming I'm missing something, perhaps it has something to do with the initial speed which I haven't included in my calculations.

Thanks in advance,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure If I follow what you're saying. Could you elaborate?
 
l think the problem meant to say that the ball is projected down the ramp with an initial speed of 6 m/s, that is, it already had a speed of 6 m/s when it reached the top of the ramp. So re-do your calcs, and see azizlwl post 2.
 
It doesn't travel up the plane, it travels down the plane. I.e. it has an initial speed of 6m/s when it is at the top (the beginning) and a speed of 12m/s at the bottom (the end). Hence, initial KE=0?

EDIT: Oh! Now I see what you mean. It didn't go from rest to 12m/s meaning it had some kinetic energy at the top as well. In other words, initial KE=144J and hence, initial (total) energy= 144+960=1104J.

Using that, I get an answer of 22N. Thank you for your help!
 
Last edited: