Finding the magnitude of velocity vector

Homework Statement

A cricketer throws a 147g ball by exerting a force of 7.5N for 0.84s. If the launch angle is 39 degrees from horizontal, calculate the range of the ball.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the range equation and I just need to find the magnitude of the velocity vector but I'm not sure how I'd find that with the given quantities?

Answers and Replies

What is the answer given in solutions section?

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A cricketer throws a 147g ball by exerting a force of 7.5N for 0.84s. If the launch angle is 39 degrees from horizontal, calculate the range of the ball.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the range equation and I just need to find the magnitude of the velocity vector but I'm not sure how I'd find that with the given quantities?
Can you determine the acceleration ?

Likes NoahCygnus
I thought it was a=f/m = 51.02m/s^2 and then v=at for 42.86 ms^-1 I was going to use a particular formula for range

The solution in the back of the mock exam says f=ma rearranged for m x deltav/deltat

Which is then rearranged for deltav = Fdeltat / m = 42.8 ms

Trigonometry to then find the Vx and Vy components which can then be plugged into t = v-u/a giving us a time value. This completes the vertical plane suvat.

Horizontal 'range' was simply given as displacement s=vt: 42.8(cos39) x 6.78 = 225.52m

upload_2017-6-9_20-58-45.png

When would this equation for range be applicable? It's defined as 'the displacement in the x axis when the y axis displacement is 0.' I imagine there is still some displacement for this scenario even though it doesn't end in the y axis? Making this equation irrelevant?