1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the magnitude of velocity vector

1. Jun 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cricketer throws a 147g ball by exerting a force of 7.5N for 0.84s. If the launch angle is 39 degrees from horizontal, calculate the range of the ball.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have the range equation and I just need to find the magnitude of the velocity vector but I'm not sure how I'd find that with the given quantities?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2017 #2
    What is the answer given in solutions section?

4. Jun 9, 2017 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you determine the acceleration ?

5. Jun 9, 2017 #4
    I thought it was a=f/m = 51.02m/s^2 and then v=at for 42.86 ms^-1 I was going to use a particular formula for range

The solution in the back of the mock exam says f=ma rearranged for m x deltav/deltat

Which is then rearranged for deltav = Fdeltat / m = 42.8 ms

Trigonometry to then find the Vx and Vy components which can then be plugged into t = v-u/a giving us a time value. This completes the vertical plane suvat.

Horizontal 'range' was simply given as displacement s=vt: 42.8(cos39) x 6.78 = 225.52m

upload_2017-6-9_20-58-45.png
    When would this equation for range be applicable? It's defined as 'the displacement in the x axis when the y axis displacement is 0.' I imagine there is still some displacement for this scenario even though it doesn't end in the y axis? Making this equation irrelevant?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted