Finding the Major Axis Angle of an Ellipse Given Rotated Equations

  • Thread starter Thread starter McLaren Rulez
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ellipse Geometry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
McLaren Rulez
Messages
289
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement



Prove that the equations [itex]x=acos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y=bcos(\theta +\delta )[/itex] is the equation of an ellipse and what angle does this ellipse's major axis make with the x axis?

Homework Equations



Equation of an ellipse is [itex]x=acos\theta, y=asin\theta[/itex]
Rotation matrix is for a rotation by [itex]\psi[/itex] is [tex]A=\begin{pmatrix} cos\psi & -sin\psi \\ sin\psi & cos\psi \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I know the special case of [itex]\delta = \pi/2[/itex] is easy but I cannot do it for arbitrary [itex]\delta[/itex]. I worked out what an ellipse whose major axis forms an angle [itex]\psi[/itex] with the x-axis looks like. I did this by applying a rotation matrix to the standard equation [itex]x=acos\theta, y=bsin\theta[/itex]

This gives [itex]x= acos\theta cos\psi - bsin\theta sin\psi[/itex] and [itex]y= acos\theta sin\psi + bsin\theta cos\psi[/itex]

Now, what is the relation between [itex]\psi[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] in general. And I need to show that the equations [itex]x=acos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y=bcos(\theta +\delta )[/itex] can be brought to the same form as [itex]x= acos\theta cos\psi - bsin\theta sin\psi[/itex] and [itex]y= acos\theta sin\psi + bsin\theta cos\psi[/itex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This might not be the most efficient method. Use
$$\cos \theta = \frac{x}{a}$$ to eliminate ##\theta## from
$$\frac{y}{b} = \cos(\theta+\delta) = \cos \theta \cos \delta - \sin\theta \sin \delta$$ to get the equation of an ellipse in standard form.
 
Thanks Vela. It took some doing but it worked!