1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The equations of various ellipse constructions

1. Apr 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The tangent and the normal at a point P([itex]3\sqrt2\cos\theta,3\sin\theta)[/itex]) on the ellipse [itex]\frac{x^2}{18}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1[/itex] meet the y axis at T and N respectively. If O is the origin, prove that [itex]OT.TN[/itex] is independent of the position P. Find the coordinates of X, the centre of the circle through P, T and N. Find also the equation of the locus of the point Q on PX produced such that X is the midpoint of PQ.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The tangent of the ellipse is:

[itex]3\sqrt2ysin\theta+3xcos\theta=9\sqrt2[/itex]

When x=0, [itex]y=\frac{3}{sin\theta}=T[/itex]

The normal of the ellipse is:

[itex]3\sqrt2xsin\theta-3ycos\theta=9sin\theta\cos\theta[/itex]

When x=0, [itex] y=-3sin\theta=N[/itex]

[itex]OT.ON =(\frac{3}{sin\theta})(-3sin\theta) cos\pi[/itex]

[itex]OT.ON =9[/itex] and is therefore independent of the position P.

If X(x, y) is the centre of the circle through P, T and N, then

[itex]XT^2=XN^2\implies[/itex]

[itex]x^2+y^2-\frac{6y}{sin\theta}+\frac{9}{sin^2\theta}=x^2+y^2+6y\sin\theta+9sin^2\theta[/itex]

[itex]y=\frac{3}{2}(\frac{cos^2(\theta)}{sin\theta})[/itex]

[itex]XT^2=XP^2\implies[/itex]

[itex]x^2+y^2-\frac{6y}{sin\theta}+\frac{9}{sin^2\theta}=x^2+y^2+6cos\theta(3cos\theta-\sqrt2x)+3sin\theta(3sin\theta-2y)[/itex]

[itex]x=0[/itex]

So X, the centre of the circle passing through P, T and N is [itex](0,\frac{3}{2}\frac{cos^2\theta}{sin\theta})[/itex]

If X is the midpoint of PQ

[itex]x_Q=2x_X-x_P[/itex]

[itex]x_X=0\implies x_Q=-x_P=-3\sqrt2cos\theta[/itex]

[itex]y_Q=2y_X-y_P[/itex]

[itex]y_X=\frac{3}{2}\frac{cos^2\theta}{sin\theta}\implies y_Q=\frac{3}{sin\theta}-6sin\theta[/itex]

[itex]\theta=\arccos(-\frac{x_X}{3\sqrt2})[/itex]

[itex]y=\frac{9\sqrt2}{\sqrt(18-x^2)}-2\sqrt(18-x^2)[/itex]

However my book gives a different answer:

[itex]\frac{2x^2}{9}+\frac{9}{16y^2}=1[/itex]

I've graphed both equations and my solution seems to correlate more closely to what I would expect than the book's solution. I would very much appreciate it if someone is able to identify any errors or more efficient methods that I may have missed.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2016 #2
    Hi, I'm hoping no news is good news. It's the last part of the question that i'm most curious about. Is my book correct? Or am I correct? Or neither?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted