Finding the Mass of An Object as It Slides Over a Frictionless Surface

In summary, the forearm (including the hand) has a mass of 4.26 kg and is being exerted upon by a force of 14 N from the upper arm. With an acceleration of 2.54 m/s^2, the mass of the object being pulled by the hand (excluding the forearm) can be determined by using Newton's Second Law (F=ma) and subtracting 4.26 kg from the calculated mass.
xxooemmy1

Homework Statement

The forearm (including the hand) has a mass of 4.26 kg. The upper arm exerts the force of 14 N on the forearm. If the forearm has an acceleration of 2.54 m/s^2, determine the mass of the object being pulled by the hand. (Assume the object slides over a frictionless surface.)

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law:

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have my free bodies. With the arm, I have the three forces of Normal, Tension, and Mass, and with the object, the same three forces. I don't know if these are right so that might be why I'm stuck.

Assuming that those free bodies are right, I am unsure of what equations (Newton's Second Law) to write down and use or what approach to take towards this problem.

Any Help Would Be Great

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I am oversimplifying . . . it looks like you have a force of 14 N causing an acceleration of 2.54 and you want to know what the mass is. Just use F = ma. Find m, then subtract 4.26 kg to get the mass of the object (excluding the forearm).

1. How do you find the mass of an object as it slides over a frictionless surface?

The easiest way to find the mass of an object as it slides over a frictionless surface is by using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). By measuring the acceleration of the object and knowing the force acting on it (usually gravity), you can solve for mass (m=F/a).

2. Can the mass of an object change as it slides over a frictionless surface?

No, the mass of an object does not change as it slides over a frictionless surface. Mass is an intrinsic property of an object and remains constant regardless of its motion or environment.

3. How does a frictionless surface affect the measurement of an object's mass?

A frictionless surface does not affect the measurement of an object's mass. This is because mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, and friction does not affect an object's mass.

4. What are the units of measurement for mass?

The standard units of measurement for mass are kilograms (kg) in the SI (International System of Units) system and slugs in the US customary system. Other commonly used units include grams (g) and pounds (lbs).

5. Can you determine the mass of an object by measuring its weight on a frictionless surface?

No, you cannot determine the mass of an object by measuring its weight on a frictionless surface. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, which can change based on the environment. Mass, on the other hand, is an inherent property of an object and remains constant regardless of the environment.