Finding the Mass of An Object as It Slides Over a Frictionless Surface

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
xxooemmy1
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The forearm (including the hand) has a mass of 4.26 kg. The upper arm exerts the force of 14 N on the forearm. If the forearm has an acceleration of 2.54 m/s^2, determine the mass of the object being pulled by the hand. (Assume the object slides over a frictionless surface.)

Homework Equations



Newton's Second Law:

Fnet=ma



The Attempt at a Solution



So I have my free bodies. With the arm, I have the three forces of Normal, Tension, and Mass, and with the object, the same three forces. I don't know if these are right so that might be why I'm stuck.

Assuming that those free bodies are right, I am unsure of what equations (Newton's Second Law) to write down and use or what approach to take towards this problem.

Any Help Would Be Great
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I am oversimplifying . . . it looks like you have a force of 14 N causing an acceleration of 2.54 and you want to know what the mass is. Just use F = ma. Find m, then subtract 4.26 kg to get the mass of the object (excluding the forearm).