Finding the Minimum and Maximum Speed on a Sloped Surface

• Thread starter NewatPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max Speed
In summary: Shooting can u please check your email no clue. How many Free body diagrams must I draw. 2. I still cannot understand.s, the arc length, is given as 200 m and theta as 30 deg. So, you can find r, right? Convert 30 deg to radians.After that just plug in the values given in the formula I've given: mv^2/r = kmg. If I'm right then I would guess it's more likely that the 30 degrees is the slope the car is on, in which case Vmin will be the speed which gives the centripetal force that perfectly cancels frictional force (when it is acting inwards) and likewise for
NewatPhysics

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I draw free body diagram but I cannot attempt to go from there. Help Please.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the mui with no friction but that is not relevant to finding the answer. I have spent 25 hours on this question. Please just someone help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Frictional force = centripetal force. Assume some m for mass of car. Write the eqn.

Shooting star said:
Frictional force = centripetal force. Assume some m for mass of car. Write the eqn.

im still lostt.

The car is moving on a circular curve, and so there must be a centripetal force acting on it. The only force that prevents the car from flying off is the force of friction between the wheel and the road, acting inward.

Frictional force F = mv^2/r. Also, F = kN = kmg, where k is co-eff of friction. Can you do it now? Remember, s = r*theta.

Shooting star said:
The car is moving on a circular curve, and so there must be a centripetal force acting on it. The only force that prevents the car from flying off is the force of friction between the wheel and the road, acting inward.

Frictional force F = mv^2/r. Also, F = kN = kmg, where k is co-eff of friction. Can you do it now? Remember, s = r*theta.

Shooting can u please check your email no clue. How many Free body diagrams must I draw. 2. I still cannot understand.

s, the arc length, is given as 200 m and theta as 30 deg. So, you can find r, right? Convert 30 deg to radians.

After that just plug in the values given in the formula I've given: mv^2/r = kmg.
That shouldn't be too difficult. You'll get the max speed.

Are you sure you copied the question exactly?

I ask because if the car were on a flat surface, I don't see how there could be a Vmin for this problem (unless I'm missing something here).

If I'm right then I would guess it's more likely that the 30 degrees is the slope the car is on, in which case Vmin will be the speed which gives the centripetal force that perfectly cancels frictional force (when it is acting inwards) and likewise for Vmax assuming an outward acting frictional force.

Last edited:

Related to Finding the Minimum and Maximum Speed on a Sloped Surface

What is the purpose of finding the minimum and maximum speed in a scientific study?

The purpose of finding the minimum and maximum speed is to understand the range of speeds that a certain phenomenon or process can occur at. This information can help scientists make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of the system being studied.

How is the minimum and maximum speed determined in a scientific experiment?

The minimum and maximum speed can be determined through various methods such as direct measurement, calculations based on known equations, or through data analysis using graphs and other visual representations.

Why is it important to measure both the minimum and maximum speed?

Measuring both the minimum and maximum speed is important because it provides a more complete understanding of the behavior of a system. The minimum speed can represent the slowest possible speed at which the system can operate, while the maximum speed can show the upper limit of the system's capabilities.

What factors can affect the minimum and maximum speed of a system?

There are several factors that can affect the minimum and maximum speed of a system, such as external forces, temperature, pressure, and friction. Additionally, the design and composition of the system itself can also impact its speed range.

How can knowing the minimum and maximum speed be applied in real-world situations?

Knowing the minimum and maximum speed can be beneficial in various real-world situations, such as designing and optimizing machinery, predicting natural phenomena, and understanding the capabilities of certain technologies. It can also aid in safety measures and risk assessments in industries such as transportation and energy production.