Finding the modulus and argument of a complex number

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the modulus and argument of the point -1+2i. The modulus is easily calculated, but finding the angle proves challenging due to the point being in the 4th quadrant. The concept of coterminal angles is mentioned and it is suggested to add 2π radians to get the positive angle. It is also suggested to visualize the line connecting the origin and the point to help choose the correct angle. It is clarified that the point is actually in the 2nd quadrant, not the 4th.
Bashyboy
Hello,

I have the point ##-1 + 2i##, for which I am asked to find the modulus and argument. The modulus was simple enough, but I am having difficulty finding the angle. The point is located in the 4th quadrant, and so I need to make certain that I calculate an angle in the range ##(\frac{3 \pi}{2}, 2 \pi )##, if I wish to measure counterclockwise rotations. Here is what I did:

##\theta = \arctan(-2) = - \arctan(2)##.

So, clearly I have a negative angle, which is reasonable. However, I would like to find a positive angle, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the concept of coterminal angles and calculating angles based upon that principle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Hello,

I have the point ##-1 + 2i##, for which I am asked to find the modulus and argument. The modulus was simple enough, but I am having difficulty finding the angle. The point is located in the 4th quadrant
No it isn't.
Bashyboy said:
, and so I need to make certain that I calculate an angle in the range ##(\frac{3 \pi}{2}, 2 \pi )##, if I wish to measure counterclockwise rotations. Here is what I did:

##\theta = \arctan(-2) = - \arctan(2)##.

So, clearly I have a negative angle, which is reasonable. However, I would like to find a positive angle, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the concept of coterminal angles and calculating angles based upon that principle.
Add ##2\pi## radians to get the positive angle.

Last edited:
Whoops, you are certainly correct. I meant to type in 1-2i. The principle is the same, however.

Likes Ray Vickson
Arctan(-2) will give you a negative angle. Add ##2\pi## to get a positive angle. For example, if you got ##-\pi/6##, adding ##2\pi## would give you ##11\pi/6## as the positive angle.

I thought you just said that I should add an angle of ##\pi##.

I confused myself. You thought the angle was in the 4th quadrant (it isn't - it's in the 2nd quadrant). Adding π would get your angle to the second quadrant, which isn't what you want. I edited my earlier post.

You can also think of the line going through the origin and through the point 1-2i (equiv., (1, -2) in Cartesian ). This may help you visualize how to choose the right angle.

Bashyboy said:
Whoops, you are certainly correct. I meant to type in 1-2i. The principle is the same, however.

For ##0 < \alpha < \pi/2## the angles ##-\alpha## and ##2 \pi - \alpha## both describe the same point in the third quadrant.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How do you find the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus of a complex number is the distance between the number and the origin on the complex plane. It can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the real part is the length of the adjacent side and the imaginary part is the length of the opposite side. The modulus is then the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts.

3. What is the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the line connecting the number to the origin on the complex plane. It is measured in radians and can be found using trigonometric functions.

4. How do you find the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number can be found using the formula arg(z) = arctan(b/a), where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part of the complex number z = a + bi. The result should be in the range of -π to π radians.

5. Why is finding the modulus and argument of a complex number important?

The modulus and argument of a complex number can be used to represent and manipulate the number in both algebraic and geometric forms. They also have important applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.