1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the modulus and argument of a complex number

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I have the point ##-1 + 2i##, for which I am asked to find the modulus and argument. The modulus was simple enough, but I am having difficulty finding the angle. The point is located in the 4th quadrant, and so I need to make certain that I calculate an angle in the range ##(\frac{3 \pi}{2}, 2 \pi )##, if I wish to measure counterclockwise rotations. Here is what I did:

##\theta = \arctan(-2) = - \arctan(2)##.

So, clearly I have a negative angle, which is reasonable. However, I would like to find a positive angle, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the concept of coterminal angles and calculating angles based upon that principle.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No it isn't.
    Add ##2\pi## radians to get the positive angle.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  4. Sep 30, 2014 #3
    Whoops, you are certainly correct. I meant to type in 1-2i. The principle is the same, however.

5. Sep 30, 2014 #4

Mark44

Arctan(-2) will give you a negative angle. Add ##2\pi## to get a positive angle. For example, if you got ##-\pi/6##, adding ##2\pi## would give you ##11\pi/6## as the positive angle.

6. Sep 30, 2014 #5
    I thought you just said that I should add an angle of ##\pi##.

7. Sep 30, 2014 #6

Mark44

I confused myself. You thought the angle was in the 4th quadrant (it isn't - it's in the 2nd quadrant). Adding π would get your angle to the second quadrant, which isn't what you want. I edited my earlier post.

8. Oct 1, 2014 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can also think of the line going through the origin and through the point 1-2i (equiv., (1, -2) in Cartesian ). This may help you visualize how to choose the right angle.

9. Oct 1, 2014 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For ##0 < \alpha < \pi/2## the angles ##-\alpha## and ##2 \pi - \alpha## both describe the same point in the third quadrant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted