What is the polar form of the given complex number without using the argument?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
cragar
Messages
2,546
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Write the given complex number in polar form first using an argument where theta is not equal
to Arg(z)
z=-7i

The Attempt at a Solution


[itex]7isin(\frac{-\pi}{2}+2\pi n)[/itex]
The weird part about this problem it asks me to not use the argument, The argument is the smallest angle of the complex number, So I added 2 pi to it, but it tells me I am wrong on my web assign, the only other thing I can think of is taking out the generic n and just adding 2 pi to it. [/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
z=x+iy=rcos(x)+irsin(x), that's not polar form
My mistake, I was thinking of the exponential form.
It's not clear to me which specific variants you tried, like 7i sin(-π/2), 7i sin(3π/2).
As far as I can make out, there is not universal agreement whether Arg is defined to be in the range (-π, π] or [0, 2π).
 
I tried 7isin(-pi/2) ,and the one with a generic 2*pi*n, I might have to wait till my teacher gets back to me on e-mail, because I am not sure what my web assign is looking for, I might try 3*pi/2 and then add 2*pi to it, Just wanted to make sure I was interpreting it correctly . thanks for the replies