Finding the nth+1 derivative via Leibniz

In summary: It looks like a straight up proof by induction. You claim to now how to do the base step: that's showing it's true when n=2 .
Gallagher

Homework Statement

I'm told to find the nth derivative of a function via http://www.math.osu.edu/~nevai.1/H16x/DOCUMENTS/leibniz_product_formula_H6.pdf.

Homework Equations

Then I'm asked to show that f(n+1)=f(n)+3n(n-1)f(n-2) evaluated at x=0 when n>1

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this just fine when plugging in a constant for n. For example, when n=2, f '" = f " + 6 f, no problem. My question though is whether this is enough to prove that the above equation balances for all n>1?

If not, how would I show this? Would I need to use the general form of f(n) I found via the Leibniz formula? How would this work? I ask this because it is of the form f(n) = Ʃk=0n (n!/k!(n-k!) * (dk/dxk*f) * (dn-k/dxn-k*g)) and am not sure how I would transform that into f(n+1) or f(n-2) with the summation and combination.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gallagher said:
If not, how would I show this? Would I need to use the general form of f(n) I found via the Leibniz formula? How would this work? I ask this because it is of the form f(n) = Ʃk=0n (n!/k!(n-k!) * (dk/dxk*f) * (dn-k/dxn-k*g)) and am not sure how I would transform that into f(n+1) or f(n-2) with the summation and combination.
Are you using f to stand for more than one function here? It appears on both the left and in the summation. How does g fit into all of this?

Gallagher said:

Homework Statement

I'm told to find the nth derivative of a function via http://www.math.osu.edu/~nevai.1/H16x/DOCUMENTS/leibniz_product_formula_H6.pdf.

Homework Equations

Then I'm asked to show that f(n+1)=f(n)+3n(n-1)f(n-2) evaluated at x=0 when n>1

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this just fine when plugging in a constant for n. For example, when n=2, f '" = f " + 6 f, no problem. My question though is whether this is enough to prove that the above equation balances for all n>1?

Thank you in advance!
It looks like a straight up proof by induction. You claim to now how to do the base step: that's showing it's true when n=2 .

For the inductive step:
Assume the statement is true when n = k .

From that assumption (plus your mathematical skill) show that the statement is true for n = k+1.​

In other words:

Assume that the following is true for k > 1 :
f(k+1) = f(k)+3k(k-1)f(k-2) evaluated at x=0 .​

Show that the following follows from this assumption :
f((k+1)+1) = f(k+1)+3(k+1)((k+1)-1)f((k+1)-2)
which simplifies to:

f(k+2) = f(k+1)+(3k+3)(k)f(k-1)
All evaluated at x=0 .

What is the nth+1 derivative?

The nth+1 derivative, also known as the (n+1)th derivative, is the derivative of the nth derivative. This means that it is the derivative of the derivative of the original function. It represents the rate of change of the rate of change of the original function.

Why is Leibniz's formula used to find the nth+1 derivative?

Leibniz's formula, also known as the generalized Leibniz rule, is used to find the nth+1 derivative because it is a generalization of the power rule for differentiation. It allows us to find the derivative of a product of functions, which is necessary when finding higher order derivatives.

How is Leibniz's formula applied to find the nth+1 derivative?

To apply Leibniz's formula, we first find the nth derivative of each individual function in the product. Then, we use the formula to find the (n+1)th derivative, which involves multiplying each term by the (n+1)th derivative of the other function. Finally, we combine these terms to get the nth+1 derivative of the original product function.

What are the applications of finding the nth+1 derivative?

Finding the nth+1 derivative is useful in many areas of science and engineering. It can be used to analyze the behavior of complex systems, such as in physics and economics. It is also important in optimization problems, where higher order derivatives help us find the maximum or minimum of a function.

Are there any other methods for finding the nth+1 derivative?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the nth+1 derivative, such as using the chain rule, the quotient rule, or Taylor series. However, Leibniz's formula is often the most efficient and straightforward method for finding higher order derivatives. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many other derivative rules and formulas.