1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the overall uncertainty

1. Jan 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do I find the overall uncertainty of R when R = (h2+l2)/2h

2. Relevant equations
    uncertainty in h = ±0.57%
    uncertainty in h2=±1.14%
    uncertainty in l2=±7%

3. The attempt at a solution
    √1.142+72+0.572

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2016 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the "differential"- R = (h2+l2)/2h [itex]dR= [(1- 2(h^2+ l^2))/h^2]dh+ (l/h)dl. Set dh and dl equal to the uncertainties in h and l respectively. You will need "current" values for h and l as well as for dh and dl. I do not understand you last values. Where you have "h = ±0.57%" do you mean the uncertainty in h (my "dh") rather than h itself? Also you have "h2=±1.14%" which is 2 times your h, not h squared.

4. Jan 4, 2016 #3
    Yeah those are the actual uncertainties in the values
    h = ±0.57% is the % uncertainty, where h is a measurement of length in m
    To get the uncertainty in h2 you multiply the %uncertainty of h by 2 yeah?

5. Jan 4, 2016 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are confusing me by saying "actual uncertainty" at one point and "% uncertainty" at another- those are NOT the same thing. If h= 10, say, and the "actual uncertainty" (I would say "relative error") is 0.5 then the "percentage uncertainty" is (0.5)/(10)= 0.05= 5%. If f(x)= x2 then df= 2x(dx) The "actual uncertainty in f is 2 times the value of f time the "actual uncertainty" in x. The "percent uncertainty" in f is df/f. Dividing both sides of the previous equation by f, df/f= 2x(dx)/f= 2x(dx)/x2= 2(dx/x) so the percent uncertainty in x2 is 2 times the percent uncertainty in x.

There is an engineer's "rule of thumb" that "when quantities are added their errors add and when quantities multiply their relative errors add".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted