Finding the period of a limit cycle

In summary, the problem involves finding a conserved quantity for a special case of the Duffing oscillator and using it to write the period as an integral. The integral involves the square root of a potential energy function and requires choosing different signs for different half cycles. The period can be expressed as a power series in \epsilon and compared to a given series. However, in the attempt at a solution, the bounds of the integral were not determined and it was suggested to consider the two solutions when taking the square root.
alexfloo

Homework Statement

We're considering the following special case of the Duffing oscillator, in the limit of small nonlinearity:

[itex]\ddot x + x + \epsilon x^3 = 0[/itex].

The problem asks us to find a conserved quantity, and use it to write the period as an integral. Then, to write it as a power series in [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and evaluate it, then check the first two terms agains a power series that was given in our text. Mine didn't match up. I'm pretty sure I got the integrand right, but I really just don't know how select the bounds.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, this system resembles a force on a unit mass which doesn't depend on velocity. Therefore, there is a well-defined potential energy as a function of only x, which in this case is

[itex]\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{\epsilon}{4}x^4[/itex]

Therefore,

[itex]C=\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{\epsilon}{4}x^4+\frac{1}{2}\dot{x}^2[/itex]

is conserved. (We can check that will time derivatives but I won't.)

Therefore, along a particular trajectory, there is some constant C such that

[itex]\frac {dx}{dt}=\dot x=\sqrt{C-x^2-\frac{\epsilon}{2}x^4}[/itex].

Therefore

[itex]dt=\frac{dx}{\sqrt{C-x^2-\frac{\epsilon}{2}x^4}}[/itex].

So the period will be

[itex]T=\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{C-x^2-\frac{\epsilon}{2}x^4}}[/itex].

The problem is I have no idea what to set the bounds of the integral as. The x-value at the start and end of the period are the same, so the integral will equal zero.

I recognize also that it'd make more sense to cast it as a closed line integral on the set

[itex]y=\sqrt{C-x^2-\frac{\epsilon}{2}x^4}[/itex],

but I'm not sure how to effectively parametrize that set, or else I should be writing it in a very different form.

Physics news on Phys.org
alexfloo said:

Homework Statement

We're considering the following special case of the Duffing oscillator, in the limit of small nonlinearity:

[itex]\ddot x + x + \epsilon x^3 = 0[/itex].

The problem asks us to find a conserved quantity, and use it to write the period as an integral. Then, to write it as a power series in [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and evaluate it, then check the first two terms agains a power series that was given in our text. Mine didn't match up. I'm pretty sure I got the integrand right, but I really just don't know how select the bounds.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, this system resembles a force on a unit mass which doesn't depend on velocity. Therefore, there is a well-defined potential energy as a function of only x, which in this case is

[itex]\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{\epsilon}{4}x^4[/itex]

Therefore,

[itex]C=\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{\epsilon}{4}x^4+\frac{1}{2}\dot{x}^2[/itex]

is conserved. (We can check that will time derivatives but I won't.)

Therefore, along a particular trajectory, there is some constant C such that

[itex]\frac {dx}{dt}=\dot x=\sqrt{C-x^2-\frac{\epsilon}{2}x^4}[/itex].

Therefore

[itex]dt=\frac{dx}{\sqrt{C-x^2-\frac{\epsilon}{2}x^4}}[/itex].

So the period will be

[itex]T=\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{C-x^2-\frac{\epsilon}{2}x^4}}[/itex].

The problem is I have no idea what to set the bounds of the integral as. The x-value at the start and end of the period are the same, so the integral will equal zero.

I recognize also that it'd make more sense to cast it as a closed line integral on the set

[itex]y=\sqrt{C-x^2-\frac{\epsilon}{2}x^4}[/itex],

but I'm not sure how to effectively parametrize that set, or else I should be writing it in a very different form.

Remember that when you take the square root there are two solutions to consider. The integral isn't zero because you have to choose the plus sign along one half cycle and the minus sign on the other half cycle. The period is thus more like

[tex]T = 2\int_0^{X} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{C - x^2 - \epsilon x^4/2}},[/tex]

where X is the maximum value x attains.

1. What is a limit cycle?

A limit cycle is a type of periodic behavior that occurs in dynamical systems. It is a closed curve or loop in the phase space of a system, where the system's variables repeat in a regular pattern over time.

2. How do you find the period of a limit cycle?

The period of a limit cycle can be found by analyzing the system's equations and solving for the time it takes for the variables to repeat their values. This can also be done experimentally by observing the system's behavior over time.

3. Why is finding the period of a limit cycle important?

Finding the period of a limit cycle is important for understanding the behavior of a dynamical system. It can provide insights into the stability and predictability of the system, and can also be used to design control strategies for the system.

4. Can the period of a limit cycle change?

Yes, the period of a limit cycle can change under certain conditions. For example, external perturbations or changes in the system's parameters can alter the period of the limit cycle. Additionally, some systems may exhibit multiple limit cycles with different periods.

5. How is the period of a limit cycle related to the system's stability?

The period of a limit cycle is closely related to the system's stability. In general, the longer the period of the limit cycle, the more stable the system is. This is because a longer period indicates that the system is less sensitive to perturbations, making it more predictable and easier to control.