Finding the point of intersection between two vectors

In summary, The point of intersection between two vectors can be found by setting the two vector equations equal to each other and solving for the variables. This represents the common solution or meeting point of the two equations and can be used to solve problems in various fields. Two vectors can only intersect at one point in a 2-dimensional plane and can have different relationships in a 3-dimensional space. The difference between finding the point of intersection and finding the intersection angle between two vectors is that the former gives the coordinates of the common solution, while the latter gives the angle between the two vectors. Special cases may arise when the two vectors are parallel or collinear, requiring different methods to find the solution.
iamsmooth

Homework Statement

L1 passes through (1,-4,0) and (9,0,4)
L2 passes through (2,-3,-1) and (4,-3,3)

Do L1 and L2 intersect? If so, where?

Homework Equations

Parametric equations(?)

The Attempt at a Solution

A = (1,-4,0)
B = (9,0,4)
C = (2,-3,-1)
D = (4,-3,3)

AB = (-8,-4,-4)
CD = (-2,0,-4)

This question seems similar to a question asking for the intersection of a line between a line a, nd an x,y, or z plane, I would take the parametric equations of x y z. Solve for, the x y or z formula to find out what the parametric unknown must be to make the equation equal 0. Then sub in the parameter to the original x y z to find the coordinates.

However, I've never done this kind of question, so I'm not totally sure wher to start.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's my further attempt:
A = (1,-4,0)
C = (2,-3,-1)

AB = (-8,-4,-4)
CD = (-2,0,-4)

Trying to get the parametric equations:
For AB, since vector AB is parallel to L1 and A lies on L1:

x = 1-8t, y = -4-4t, z = -4t

For CD, since vector CD is parallel to L2 and C lies on L2:

x = 2-2t, y = -3, z = -1-4t

Now I think I have parametric equations for the lines. From here, I don't know what to do. How can I figure out if the lines intersect one another?

iamsmooth said:
Here's my further attempt:
A = (1,-4,0)
C = (2,-3,-1)
What you have below are actually BA and DC, but this doesn't affect anything.
iamsmooth said:
AB = (-8,-4,-4)
CD = (-2,0,-4)

Trying to get the parametric equations:
For AB, since vector AB is parallel to L1 and A lies on L1:

For CD, since vector CD is parallel to L2 and C lies on L2:
I think you should write these parametric equations using a different parameter, say s.
iamsmooth said:
x = 2-2t, y = -3, z = -1-4t

Now I think I have parametric equations for the lines. From here, I don't know what to do. How can I figure out if the lines intersect one another?

So far, so good. If the two lines intersect, then for some value of s and t, the x, y, and z coordinates will be equal in these equations.

x = 2-2s, y = -3, z = -1-4s

Start by setting the two y coordinates equal to solve for t. Then use one of the other remaining pairs of equations to solve for s. The same pair of values should make a true statement in the unused pair of equations if the lines intersect.

The reason for using a different parameter is that all we care about is whether the lines intersect. If we use the same parameter (i.e., t), for both sets of parametric equations, it might be that there is not a single value of t that works for both sets of parametric equations. Think of the parameter t as time. It can very well be that we are at a point (x, y, z) on one line, and are at the same point on the other line at a different time.

Oh, so I should view the second's equation of y being -3 (a constant) as a huge hint.

Where if I make y = -4-4t = 3 where t is -1/4, then I can solve for the one unknown. And doing the same for s and making it equal to the new numbers obtained from the first xyz values, I can solve for s. 1-8(-1/4) = 3, so x = 2-2s = 3 when s is -1/2, so now I can check that the numbers work on z as well. Since they do, I can now sub in these values to either equation and obtain the correct answer (if they both equal to the same number).

So the answer is 3, -3, 1, and both equations yield that answer with t and s respectively.

Thanks again for the help. Another question, is there any way that there would be two intersect points when dealing with vectors? I guess that would have to be non linear equations?

Right, two lines can't intersect at exactly two points. They either don't intersect, intersect at one point only, or intersect at every point. If you have parametric equations that aren't linear, then two such curves can intersect at a lot of points.

1. How do you find the point of intersection between two vectors?

The point of intersection between two vectors can be found by setting the two vector equations equal to each other and solving for the variables. This will give the coordinates of the point where the two vectors intersect.

2. What is the significance of finding the point of intersection between two vectors?

The point of intersection between two vectors represents the common solution or meeting point of the two equations. It can be used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields where vector equations are used.

3. Can two vectors intersect at more than one point?

No, two vectors can only intersect at one point in a 2-dimensional plane. In a 3-dimensional space, two vectors can intersect at a single point, along a line, or not intersect at all.

4. What is the difference between finding the point of intersection and finding the intersection angle between two vectors?

Finding the point of intersection between two vectors gives the coordinates of the common solution, while finding the intersection angle between two vectors gives the angle between the two vectors at the point of intersection.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the point of intersection between two vectors?

Yes, there are special cases when the two vectors are parallel or collinear. In these cases, the two vectors will not intersect at a point, and different methods will need to be used to find the solution.