Finding the power from the electric field amplitude

In summary, Scott Y. Seidel is modelling a ray-tracing algorithm and he is in the part where he is getting the summation of all EM "rays" hitting the receiver. He comes to a problem where he can't properly convert and Unsure to do so. He is trying to use the Friis Transmission Equation and the model for the complex field amplitude of a wave path but he is having trouble with the conversion of the components of polarization and phase to power and with getting the equivalent factor for fr, ft, and Li. He decides that the model from Seidel and Rappaport works better for the summation and tries to get the equivalent factor for fr, ft, and Li from the power gain he already
Frov_ken

Homework Statement

I am modelling a ray-tracing algorithm(image method), and I am in the part where I am getting the summation of all EM "rays" hitting the receiver. I come to a problem where I can't properly convert and unsure to do so.

Ideally, I should have a collection of Ei waves defined in Seidel and Rappaport's model(from below), since the summation of this would result to the total desired Electric field output. But I don't have the converted components working for E-field such as the fr , ft, and Li(d). Furthermore, I don't know if I could use S=E^2/Zo to get the power density to get the power received by the antenna. Would power densit(##W/m^2##)y for Friis also be the Power(W)?

In contrast, Friis Transmission Equation states the power received already by the antenna already from the equation (below). I do have the GT, GR, and R necessary for the equation, but the polarization and phase details I have yet to convert(from E-field factor) and include. This is where the extended version comes into guide me how I can try to add more variables in the Friis equation to account for these two.

I'm working at free space with certain wall permittivity.

Homework Equations

Here are some equations that serves as my basis.

• From the paper "Site-Specific Propagation Prediction for Wireless In-Building Personal Communication System Design" Scott Y. Seidel and Theodore S. Rappaport, the model for the complex field amplitude of a wave path is as shown:
    [itex]E_i = E_o f_{ti} f_{ri} L_i(d)\prod_{j} Γ(θ_{ji}) e^{-j*2*pi*d/lambda}[/itex]

where fti and fri are the field amplitude radiation pattern of the transmitter and the receiver antenna respectively,
    Li(d) is the path loss dependence, with d being the distance.
    Γ is just the reflection coefficient.
    and the exponential tells the phase
    E_o is the reference field strength

This will just be my guide. The reflected rays are the ones that I want, so the reflection coefficients would not need the (1 -)
  • transmission.bmp.png

this is from http://www.antenna-theory.com/basics/transmission.bmp . This explains how the friis equation above is formulated. I will be using its tutorial onto how to do my own conversions for my need.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I tried using the Friis Transmission Equation model and try to convert the components of the polarization and phase to power. I used the power density function(S = (reflection_coeff or Γ*E)^2/Zo) and tried to simulate reflection coefficients and found that Γ2 would be the power-equivalent factor, just like in the EXTENDED model above.

For the phase, I tried simulating a sum of two E-waves.
##\frac{(E_1*e^{(-j2*pi*d_1/lambda)} + E_2*e^{(-j2*pi*d_2/lambda)} )^2}{Zo}## and used ##P1 = \frac{E_1^2}{Zo}## and ##P2 = \frac{E_2^2}{Zo}##.
I got. ##P_1 e^{(-4j*pi*d_1/lambda)} + 2*P_1*P_2*Z_o* e^{(-2j*pi/lambda*(d_1+d_2))} + P_2 e^{(-4j*pi*d_2/lambda)}##.
I noticed that this is a bit too complex or inefficient for the code to run through. And I'm not sure it it's even right.

I decided that Seidel and Rappaport model's works better for the summation. So, I have to get the equivalent factor for fr, ft, and Li from the power gain I already have (it's in power notation, like in Friis equation)

To get this, I tried to relate the power density
tx-field-S.png
with the E shown in Seidel and Rappaport's model and Friis' equation. I get
fr to be ##\sqrt{G_T}##
and ft to be ##\sqrt{G_T}##
, and Li(d) to be ##\sqrt{\frac{1}{4*pi*d^2}}##.

Is this right? I think it isn't because I just related power density to power itself.
After this, I have to convert the consolidated E-wave summed output to power to display the power delay profile of the receiver. How is this "power" defined? would
tx-field-S.png
work or would ##P=0.5*ε_oE^2## work?

Any reference to my problem would really make me understand my situation here more.

Attachments

• img1277.png
    img1277.png
    395 bytes · Views: 470
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Frov_ken said:
tx-field-S.png
I think I'm overthinking in this problem. I just want to know if this equation is applicable or ##P=0.5*ε_oE^2## should be used here? So i could say that when I have the gain of an antenna
##Ga P = 0.5 *ε_o(E*f_a)^2##
##f_a = \sqrt{G_a}##

What about the path loss term Li?
##\frac{1}{4πR^2}P = 0.5 *ε_o(E*L_i)^2##
##L_i = \sqrt{\frac{1}{4πR^2}}##
will this be right?

and how can I get the ##E_o## of the Seidel- Rappaport model when I'm only given the Power transmitted to the antenna and it's Gain(dBi) pattern. Is it the relation between
tx-field-S-Pt.png
and
tx-field-S.png
?

Last edited:

1. What is the electric field amplitude?

The electric field amplitude refers to the strength or magnitude of an electric field at a specific point in space. It is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) and represents the force experienced by a unit charge placed at that point in the electric field.

2. How is the electric field amplitude related to power?

The power from an electric field amplitude is related to the square of the amplitude. This means that as the amplitude of the electric field increases, the power also increases significantly. However, the exact relationship between the two also depends on other factors such as the distance between the source of the electric field and the object experiencing the field.

3. Can the power from an electric field amplitude be negative?

No, the power from an electric field amplitude cannot be negative. Since power is a measure of the rate at which energy is transferred, it must always be a positive value. However, the electric field itself can have both positive and negative values, depending on the direction of the force on a charged object.

4. How can the power from an electric field amplitude be calculated?

The power from an electric field amplitude can be calculated using the formula P = (1/2)ε₀E²A, where P is the power, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, E is the electric field amplitude, and A is the area of the object experiencing the electric field. This formula assumes that the electric field is uniform and the object is perpendicular to the field.

5. What is the significance of finding the power from the electric field amplitude?

The power from the electric field amplitude is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of electrical systems and devices. It helps in determining the amount of energy being transferred and the potential impact of the electric field on charged objects. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing various electrical systems and technologies.