1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the probability density of a recombined beam.

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So a neutron beam is split into two components, one by reflection, the other by transmission. The phase shift undergone by the reflected beam is [itex]\pi[/itex] radians, and the phase shift of the transmitted beam is [itex]\Delta[/itex].

What is the equation of the probability density of the recombined wave?
    2. Relevant equations
    Wave equation psi = A*e^(i(kx - wt))

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm assuming that the expressions for the reflected wave is psi_r = psi * e^i*pi and the transmitted wave is psi_t = psi * e^i*del

Then it would just be a simple case of adding them, and squaring the absolute of the sum to find the probability density? Which seems to be a simple algebra problem. But I can't for the life of me seem to arrive at the correct expression, given to be:

rho = 2|psi|^2 * sin(del/2)^2, where psi is the equation of the original beam.

A point in the right direction would be great, even if it's just affirming that my expressions for the reflected and transmitted waves are correct.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

I think you've got it almost right. But does it make sense that the 'magnitudes' of the transmitted and reflected waves are each as great as the incoming wave?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted