1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum physics - probability density,

1. Jan 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    consider a particle at an interval ##[-L/2, L/2]##, described by the wave function ## \psi (x,t)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}e^{i(kx-wt)}##
    a) Calculate the probability density ##\rho (x,t) ## and the current density ## j(x,t)## of the particle
    b) How can you express ## j(x,t)## as a function of ##\rho (x,t) ## and the velocity ## v##?
    c) What is de probability to find the particle at the intervals ##[-L/2, L/2]##, ##[-L/2, 0]## and ##[0, L/4]##

(note: not sure whether 'current density' is the proper translation of the term I have in Dutch for j(x,t).

2. Relevant equations
    ##\rho (x,t) = \psi^* (x,t) \psi (x,t)##
    ## j(x,t) = - \frac{i \hbar}{2m} \big[ \psi^* (x,t) \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\psi (x,t) - \psi (x,t) \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\psi^* (x,t) \big]##
    ##P(\Omega)= \int_{\Omega} |\psi (x,t)|^2 dx##
    no clue on the relevant equation for b and c

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) ##\rho (x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}} e^{-i(kx-wt)} . \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}e^{i(kx-wt)} = \frac{1}{L} e^{-i(kx-wt)+i(kx-wt)} = \frac{1}{L} e^0 = \frac{1}{L} ##
    ## j(x,t) = - \frac{i \hbar}{2m} \big[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}} e^{-i(kx-wt)} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}e^{i(kx-wt)} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}} e^{i(kx-wt)} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}e^{-i(kx-wt)} \big]##
    ## = - \frac{i \hbar}{2m} \big[ \frac{1}{L} e^{-i(kx-wt)} e^{i(kx-wt)} ik - \frac{1}{L} e^{-i(kx-wt)} e^{i(kx-wt)} (-ik) \big]##
    ## = - \frac{i \hbar}{2m} \big[ \frac{ik}{L} + \frac{ik}{L} \big]##
    ## = - \frac{i \hbar}{m} \frac{ik}{L} = \frac{\hbar k}{m L}##

b) I was not sure how to interprete the question, express first ## j(x,t)## as a function of ##\rho (x,t) ## AND afterwards in relation to velocity, OR all at the same time?

I have suggested for myself at least that ## j(x,t) = \frac{\hbar k}{m} \rho (x,t) ##
    I have no idea how the velocity comes into that.

c) For the last part I have

## \frac{1}{L} \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} dx = \frac{x}{L}|_{-L/2}^{L/2} = 2L/2L =1##
    Since the second interval is half of the first interval the probability should be 1/2, and checking the integral that is what I got. Same logic applies for the third given interval, which is a 4th of the first, and the probability is 1/4.

Can someone please review what I did solve, and whether I applied the correct logic or proper techniques. And can someone help me out with the velocity part?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is just one equation that combines them and has a nice expression. Your wave function describes a moving wave. What is its (phase) velocity?

(a) and (c) look fine.

4. Jan 27, 2015 #3
    I know there a continuity equation: ## \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \rho(x,t) + \frac{\partial}{\partial x} j(x,t) = 0 ##. Is that the one you mean?

ETA: correction on the continuity equation per mfb's following comment

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  5. Jan 27, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That continuity equation does not look right (edit: the edited version is correct now), but that is not what I meant.
    What is the phase velocity v of your wave? It is the same as in the classical case.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  6. Jan 27, 2015 #5
    phase velocity : ##v_p = \frac{\lambda}{T} = \lambda f = \frac{\omega}{k} ##
    group velocity : ##v_g = \frac{\partial \omega}{\partial k} ##

7. Jan 27, 2015 #6
    I know I could rewrite the wave in its classic notation as ## \psi (x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}} sin (kx - wt) ##
    I know the phase velocity is ## v_p = \lambda f = \frac{\omega}{k}##
    But I don't yet see how this relates to the probability density and j(x,t)... Help very much appreciated.

8. Jan 28, 2015 #7
    Found the solution:
    De Broglie: ##p = \hbar k##
    Classical mechanics: ## p=mv##

Hence, ## j(x,t) = \frac{\hbar k}{mL} = \frac{p}{mL} = \frac{v}{L} = v \rho(x,t)##

So, I started out correct by replacing the ## \frac{1}{L}## with the ## \rho##, but failed to recognize De Broglie relation and to apply Classical mechanics in that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted