Finding the probability of transition

In summary, the discussion focused on the correct formula for calculating transition probabilities and the significance of the time variable in the expression. It was mentioned that the time variable refers to the time after the perturbation is turned on and that the expression does not change if the perturbation is turned off after some time. The expression was also modified to correspond to switching on the perturbation at a specific time.
Muthumanimaran

Homework Statement

The question is attached below
Screenshot 2018-02-20 09.04.34.png

Homework Equations

$$P_{i \to n}(t)=\frac{|4H_{ni}|^2}{|E_{n}-E_{i}|^2}\sin^2\bigg[ \frac{(E_n-E_i)t}{2\hbar} \bigg]$$

The Attempt at a Solution

274.jpeg

275.jpeg

for simplicity I kept k=1

I don't know whether my approach is correct. That is I am not sure whether I used the correct formula for calculating transition probabilities, I afraid that I have not used the fact the perturbation is turned on at $$t=t_i$$ and turned off at $$t=t_f$$ anywhere in the solution. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-02-20 09.04.34.png
    Screenshot 2018-02-20 09.04.34.png
    11 KB · Views: 781
  • 274.jpeg
    274.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 458
  • 275.jpeg
    275.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks good to me, except you seem to have dropped the factor of ##k## that was part of the perturbation. (Note that your result for ##P_{1 \to 3}## doesn't have the right dimensions for a probability.)

EDIT: Please ignore the parts of my comment related to ##k##. I overlooked your statement: "for simplicity I kept k=1"

To see how ##t_i## and ##t_f## enter the solution, review the meaning of ##t## in
$$P_{i \to n}(t)=\frac{|4H_{ni}|^2}{|E_{n}-E_{i}|^2}\sin^2\bigg[ \frac{(E_n-E_i)t}{2\hbar} \bigg]$$

Last edited:
TSny said:
Your work looks good to me, except you seem to have dropped the factor of ##k## that was part of the perturbation. (Note that your result for ##P_{1 \to 3}## doesn't have the right dimensions for a probability.)

EDIT: Please ignore the parts of my comment related to ##k##. I overlooked your statement: "for simplicity I kept k=1"

To see how ##t_i## and ##t_f## enter the solution, review the meaning of ##t## in
The time "t" refers to time after "pertubation is turned on"

The relevant expression for probability of transition to find the probability of transition from intial state to final state when the perturbation is turned at t=0, after that perturbation will not be turned off.

But the question asked is to find the transition probability after the perturbation is turned off. Will turning off pertubation after some time will affect the expression for transition amplitude that I mentioned?

Muthumanimaran said:
The time "t" refers to time after "pertubation is turned on"

The relevant expression for probability of transition to find the probability of transition from intial state to final state when the perturbation is turned at t=0,
OK. So, how would you alter the expression for the probability so that it corresponds to switching on the perturbation at time ##t = t_i## rather than at ##t = 0##?

Will turning off pertubation after some time will affect the expression for transition amplitude that I mentioned?
No. Your probability expression gives the probability that at some time ##t## (while the perturbation is on) the system would be found in the ##n##th stationary state of the unperturbed system. If the perturbation is switched off at this time, then the system is back to being the unperturbed system. The probability of being in a particular stationary state of the unperturbed system will no longer change with time

Likes Muthumanimaran
TSny said:
OK. So, how would you alter the expression for the probability so that it corresponds to switching on the perturbation at time ##t = t_i## rather than at ##t = 0##?

No. Your probability expression gives the probability that at some time ##t## (while the perturbation is on) the system would be found in the ##n##th stationary state of the unperturbed system. If the perturbation is switched off at this time, then the system is back to being the unperturbed system. The probability of being in a particular stationary state of the unperturbed system will no longer change with time
Thanks now I understand what you are trying to say.

1. What is the definition of "probability of transition"?

The probability of transition is a measure of the likelihood that a transition from one state to another will occur in a given system or process. It is often represented as a decimal or percentage, with a value between 0 and 1.

2. How is the probability of transition calculated?

The probability of transition is typically calculated by dividing the number of successful transitions by the total number of possible transitions. This can also be represented mathematically as P(A) = N(A)/N(T), where P(A) is the probability of transition, N(A) is the number of successful transitions, and N(T) is the total number of possible transitions.

3. What factors influence the probability of transition?

The probability of transition can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the initial state of the system, the conditions of the environment, and any external forces or influences. Additionally, the probability of transition may also be affected by the rules or constraints of the system itself.

4. How can the probability of transition be used in scientific research?

The probability of transition can be a useful tool in scientific research for predicting the likelihood of certain outcomes or events. It can also be used to compare different systems or processes and determine which has a higher or lower probability of transition.

5. Can the probability of transition change over time?

Yes, the probability of transition can change over time as the conditions or parameters of the system or process change. This is especially true for systems that are dynamic or subject to external influences. It is important to regularly reassess and update the probability of transition in these cases.