What is the Physical Situation Described by this Unidentified Transition Rate?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
yeshuamo
Messages
39
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement


I am identifying equations on the final exam equation sheet for my quantum II class. I've identified them all except this one, what I am guessing is a transition rate for some kind of emission or absorption of radiation case. Please help me identify the physical situation that this expression describes.

Homework Equations


This is the unidentified equation:
[tex]R_{i->f}=\frac{\pi}{2\hbar^2}\Big|\Big<\psi_f^o\Big|V\Big|\psi_f^o\Big>\Big|^2\delta(\omega_{fi}-\omega)[/tex]

[tex]R\equiv\frac{dP}{dt}[/tex]
, where P is the transition probability.

[tex]\omega_{fi} = \frac{E_f^o-E_i^o}{\hbar}[/tex]
is the Bohr frequency for transition.

The Attempt at a Solution


I would integrate the transition rate over time to find the transition probability, but I don't think [itex]\omega[/itex] depends on time.

How do I identify the physical situations that this transition rate describes?
 
Physics news on Phys.org