Finding the pushing force needed to keep object from sliding down wall

In summary, the problem involved finding the required pushing force to prevent a book from sliding down a wall. By using the equations for static friction and the normal force, the final solution was calculated to be 87.6N. The reasoning behind the solution was also discussed, ensuring that the answer was correct.
Timebomb3750
This problem has been bugging me, seeing that my answer seems off. But who knows. Given the following measurements, find the required pushing force needed to keep a book from sliding down the wall.

Homework Statement

M= 2.88kg
Coefficient of static friction= .322

Homework Equations

Seeing that the book can't move, I figured that F=Normal force
mg=2.88kg(9.80 m/s^2)=28.2N
force of static friction=μsN

ƩFx=F-N=0
meaning F=N (Makes sense)

ƩFy=mg-fs=0
meaning mg=μs(N)
thus, N=(mg/μs)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a simple substitution by setting F=(mg/μs)=(28.2N/.322)=87.6N

To me, that answer seems a little high. So, is my reasoning and/or answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer must be greater in magnitude than the weight of the book because friction coefficient < 1. Your answer looks good to me.

LawrenceC said:
The answer must be greater in magnitude than the weight of the book because friction coefficient < 1. Your answer looks good to me.

That's good to know. Thanks.

What is the concept of finding the pushing force needed to keep object from sliding down wall?

The concept involves determining the amount of force required to prevent an object from sliding down a wall due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the pushing force needed?

The factors that affect the pushing force needed include the weight of the object, the angle of the wall, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the wall.

How do you calculate the pushing force needed?

The pushing force needed can be calculated by using the formula F = mg(sinθ + μcosθ), where F is the pushing force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the wall, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

What is the role of friction in this concept?

Friction plays a crucial role in determining the pushing force needed to keep an object from sliding down a wall. It is the force that opposes the motion of the object and helps to keep it in place.

How can this concept be applied in real-life situations?

This concept can be applied in various real-life situations, such as preventing a book from sliding off a slanted shelf, keeping a ladder from slipping down a wall, or securing a heavy object on an inclined surface.