1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the radian value of this angle which passes through a point

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The terminal arm of an angle in standard position passes through (-7,8). Find the radian value of the angle in the interval [0,2∏], to the nearest hundredth.

2. Relevant equations
    sinθ = [itex]\frac{y}{r}[/itex]
    cosθ = [itex]\frac{x}{r}[/itex]
    tanθ = [itex]\frac{y}{x}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The terminal arm is in quadrant 2, and I found the side lengths to be -7,8, and [itex]\sqrt{113}[/itex] (hypotenuse). When I tried to find the value of θ I get different answers for different ratios.

θ = sin[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{8}{\sqrt{113}}[/itex]
    = 0.85​

θ = cos[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{-7}{\sqrt{113}}[/itex]
    = 2.29​

θ = tan[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{8}{-7}[/itex]
    = -0.85​

The correct one is θ=2.29. Why is this correct and not the others?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2
    The point -7,8 is in the second quadrant. So θ is less than π and greater than π/2.

4. Oct 29, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Because, as you pointed out, the angle is in the 2nd quadrant. This means that θ is between ##\pi/2## and ##\pi## (roughly, between 1.5 and 3).

The sin-1 function returns an angle between ##-\pi/2## and ##\pi/2##, as does tan-1. The cos-1 function returns an angle between 0 ##\pi##, which was the correct interval for your angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted