Finding the Radius of Convergence for (sum from n=0 to infinity)7^(-n)x^(n)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
lmannoia
Messages
30
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the radius of convergence for (sum from n=0 to infinity)7^(-n)x^(n).


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


The problem above it was a similar sum, (7^n)(x^n). That answer was that the radius of convergence was 1/7.
To do this one that I posted up there, I tried to use the Ratio Test...
7^(-n+1)x^(n+1) all over (7^-n)(x^n). I ended up getting 1/49, but that's wrong. Any idea of what I'm doing incorrectly, or do I just have the wrong approach to solve this one altogether?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wow, I can't believe I made that mistake. Thank you!
 
But wait, if you do 7^{-n-1}x^{n+1}/7^{-n}x^{n}, doesn't it get down to x/7? In which case, wouldn't R be 1/7?
 
Yes, the limit is 1/7. But to find the convergence radius, you have to invert that number. So the answer would be 7...