Finding the real part of z=i^i using De Moivre's formula

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
zenite
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
1. Find the real part of z=ii by using De Moivre's formula.



Homework Equations


z= r(cos[tex]\theta[/tex] + i sin[tex]\theta[/tex])
zn= rn(cos(n[tex]\theta[/tex]) + i sin(n[tex]\theta[/tex]))


I tried using n=i to solve and got the ans 1i, but somehow feel that its not that simple. And the resultant argument I got from this approach is i[tex]\theta[/tex] which doesn't make sense. Tried using natural log, but didn't work out too.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by rewriting in exponential form and then use:

(eix)n = einx

That should do the trick :wink:
 
z = ii = ei(lni)
so n=lni and the real part is cos(lni). is this correct?
 
I'm not sure where your ln(i) comes from but that part is correct since ln(i) = [tex]i\pi/2[/tex]. However it can be simplified further.

I would have just written:
[tex]i^{i} = (e^{i\pi/2})^{i} = e^{i i\pi/2} = e^{- \pi/2}[/tex] and that's your answer since this is a real number already. (Wolfram Alpha confirms it)
 
thanks a lot. I couldn't get the part where lni = i(PI)/2, tried googling but couldn't find anything. but I could understand your working, you make it look so simple.

I used the formula, elny = y for my working, that's where the ln comes from. but yours is much more simplified.
 
zenite said:
I couldn't get the part where lni = i(PI)/2

Well, actually I just used Wolfram Alpha to find that, but if we combine our formulas, we have just proved it's true.