Complex roots and de Moivre's formula

In summary, to find all the roots of z^{6} = -2, the equation can be written in exponential notation as r^6 e^{i6\theta} = 2 e^{i\pi}. This simplifies the process of finding \theta.
Jonmundsson

Homework Statement

Find all the roots of [itex]z^{6} = -2[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]z = \sqrt[n]{r} (cos(\frac{\theta}{n} + k\cdot \frac{2\pi}{n}) + isin(\frac{\theta}{n} + k\cdot \frac{2\pi}{n})[/itex] where [itex]k = 0, 1, \cdots, n - 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [itex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} = \sqrt{(-2)^2} = 2[/itex] but I don't understand how I find [itex]\theta[/itex]. [itex]arg z = arg -2[/itex] isn't a nice number to work with and now I'm stumped. This is the only thing holding me back since the formula is pretty straightforward so if anyone could tell me how I find [itex]\theta[/itex] that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonmundsson said:

Homework Statement

Find all the roots of [itex]z^{6} = -2[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]z = \sqrt[n]{r} (cos(\frac{\theta}{n} + k\cdot \frac{2\pi}{n}) + isin(\frac{\theta}{n} + k\cdot \frac{2\pi}{n})[/itex] where [itex]k = 0, 1, \cdots, n - 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [itex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} = \sqrt{(-2)^2} = 2[/itex] but I don't understand how I find [itex]\theta[/itex]. [itex]arg z = arg -2[/itex] isn't a nice number to work with and now I'm stumped. This is the only thing holding me back since the formula is pretty straightforward so if anyone could tell me how I find [itex]\theta[/itex] that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Perhaps it would be easier if you wrote the equation in exponential notation:

[tex]r^6 e^{i6\theta} = 2 e^{i\pi}[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

Wow! Of course! Thanks for the quick help!

Jonmundsson said:
Wow! Of course! Thanks for the quick help!
A pleasure :smile:

1. What are complex roots?

Complex roots are solutions to polynomial equations that involve imaginary numbers. They are often represented as pairs of numbers in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you find complex roots?

To find complex roots, you can use the quadratic formula or the method of completing the square for quadratic equations. For higher degree polynomials, you can use the rational root theorem to narrow down the possibilities and then use synthetic division to find the roots. You can also use graphing calculators or computer programs to find complex roots.

3. What is de Moivre's formula?

De Moivre's formula is a mathematical formula that relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions. It states that for any complex number z = r(cos θ + isin θ), where r is the magnitude (or modulus) of z and θ is the argument (or angle) of z, the nth power of z can be expressed as z^n = r^n(cos nθ + isin nθ). This formula is useful for finding powers and roots of complex numbers.

4. How is de Moivre's formula used in real life?

De Moivre's formula has many real-life applications, particularly in engineering, physics, and signal processing. It is used to analyze and manipulate signals in electrical circuits, to model the behavior of waves and oscillations, and to convert between polar and rectangular forms of complex numbers. It is also used in computer graphics to rotate and scale images.

5. Can complex roots be real numbers?

Yes, complex roots can be real numbers. In fact, complex numbers that have a real part but no imaginary part (i.e. b = 0 in a + bi) are called real numbers. This means that any real number is also a complex number, but not all complex numbers are real numbers.