Finding the Real Points of a Complex Function

In summary: So multiplying by the complex conjugate just reverses the sign of the j.In summary, the problem solver was trying to solve for the resonant frequency of a band pass filter when they realized that they needed to find a relationship between R, L, and C. They found that by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator, they were able to solve the problem.
mrb427
Hi all, I'm trying to solve the following expression for w when w is entirely real (no imaginary component). It is part of a circuits problem where I have to design a band pass filter. Note that I'm using j instead of i to denote the imaginary component.

[tex]\frac{jwLR+\frac{L}{C}+\frac{R}{jwC}}{R+\frac{1}{jwC}}[/tex]

To be clear, I'm only looking for a relationship between R, L, and C which would cause the above expression to be entirely real. This is basically the solution for the resonant frequency of my circuit. So w at resonance equals some relationship of R, L, and C. I really appreciate any help with this.

For anyone who is interested, this is my result for the transfer function (Vout/Vin) of an RLC combination I'm trying. The RLC configuration is L in series with R and C in parallel. In my case, the pure series RLC bandpass filter will not work as it yields an output voltage below what is required and I cannot use active components.

Thanks,
mrb427

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
try multiplying the numerator & denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator

Tried that and didn't get too far. Actually I just managed to solve this by realizing that the phase angle of the numerator must equal the phase angle of the denominator. Thanks for the reply though! Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Remember, the phase angle of the numerator equals the phase angle of the denominator! By setting the two equal you can find the relation that yields a real result.

good you got an answer using phase angles

I usullay find it easiest just to multiply as below, which makes the denominator will be real. The imaginary part is then written explicitly
[tex]\frac{jwLR+\frac{L}{C}+\frac{R}{jwC}}{R+\frac{1}{j wC}}

= \frac{jwLR+\frac{L}{C}+\frac{R}{jwC}}{R+\frac{1}{j wC}}

\frac{R-\frac{1}{j wC}}{R-\frac{1}{j wC}}

[/tex]

Yeah, when I tried that I forgot that I could bring j out of a denominator and put it in the numerator if I multiplied by -1. If you don't remember that you can't factor the j's out and set that part equal to zero.

there shouldn't be any j's in the denominator, multipying by the complex conjugate is finding the magintude square which is always a positive real number

[tex] (R+\frac{1}{j wC})(R-\frac{1}{j wC})
= R^2 +R \frac{1}{j wC}-R\frac{1}{j wC} -(\frac{1}{j wC})^2
= R^2 +(\frac{1}{ wC})^2 [/tex]

I meant the fractions which are left in the numerator after multiplying by the complex conjugate.

Remember, 1/j = -j.

1. What is the purpose of finding the real points of a complex function?

The purpose of finding the real points of a complex function is to determine the values of the independent variable that result in a real number for the dependent variable. This can help in understanding the behavior and properties of the function.

2. How do you find the real points of a complex function?

To find the real points of a complex function, you need to set the imaginary part of the function equal to zero and solve for the real variable. This will give you the values of the independent variable that result in a real number for the dependent variable.

3. Can a complex function have more than one real point?

Yes, a complex function can have multiple real points. This means there can be more than one value of the independent variable that results in a real number for the dependent variable.

4. How does finding the real points of a complex function help in graphing?

Finding the real points of a complex function can help in graphing by identifying the critical points and asymptotes of the function. This can aid in creating an accurate graph and understanding the behavior of the function.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the real points of a complex function?

Yes, there can be limitations to finding the real points of a complex function, especially when the function is highly complex or has a large number of variables. In some cases, it may not be possible to find all the real points of a complex function.