1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is Fourier Transform of a Real Function Complex?

1. Oct 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Fourier transform F(w) of the function f(x) = [e-2x (x>0), 0 (x ≤ 0)]. Plot approximate curves using CAS by replacing infinite limit with finite limit.

2. Relevant equations
    F(w) = 1/√(2π)*∫ f(x)*e-iwxdx, with limits of integration (-∞,∞).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved the integral and found the Fourier transform of f(x) to be:

F(w) = 1/√(2π) * (2+iw)/(4+w2).

I am pretty confident in my solution (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!). Where I have an issue is this.. F(w) is complex, so how do I plot it? Do I only plot the real part? How do the real and complex parts of F(w) relate to f(x)?

I may have this question because I am still having a hard time fundamentally understanding the relationship between F(w) and f(x), so any information on this topic would be welcome. Describing F(w) as a function that determines the coefficient (contribution) of eiwx in f(x) makes some sense, (as explained in the below link):

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1002/fourier-transform-for-dummies (answer #2, with plot of sines).

However I still am confused how a complex-valued F(w) is tied in.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It would probably be more useful to plot the magnitude and phase of ##F(\omega)##.

The expression for a sine wave of frequency ##\omega## is ##A \sin(\omega x + \phi)##. You need to specify two numbers, ##A## and ##\phi##, to describe the wave. ##|F(\omega)|## corresponds to ##A##, and the complex phase of ##F(\omega)## basically corresponds to ##\phi##.

4. Oct 13, 2015 #3
    Hi LunaFly:

Here is a hint.

e-iwx = cos wx + i sin wx

Regards,
    Buzz

5. Oct 13, 2015 #4
    Thank you Vela for the insight. So the Fourier transform F(w) is more of a phasor relating the "amount" of oscillatory function e-iwt of frequency w present in the function f(x) than a constant coefficient.. Interesting!

6. Oct 13, 2015 #5
    Thanks for the hint Buzz. I am guessing you are pointing to the fact that when applying a Fourier transform to a function f(x), we are introducing a function with non-real terms, namely e-iwx. Or you may be hinting at the fact that the inverse Fourier transform is a continuous linear combination of complex terms weighted by F(w) that is equal to f(x), meaning the weight function F(w) must have complex terms in order to equal a real function f(x). Maybe? Thanks regardless.

7. Oct 13, 2015 #6
    Hi LunaFly:

Actually I had a different thought than either of the two ideas in your post. Here is a second hint.

Any real function f(x) over [-∞,+∞] can be separated into two parts: f(x) = s(x) + a(x)
    s(x) is symmetric, i.e., s(-x) = s(x)
    a(x) is anti-symmetric, i.e., a(-x) = -a(x).
    Now consider the transform: F(w) = S(w) + A(w).

Now combine that idea with my first hint.
    Good luck.

Regards,
    Buzz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted