1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Resistance in an RC Circuit

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 10-µF capacitor is charged by a 10-V battery through a resistance R. The capacitor reaches a potential difference of 4 V in a period of 3 s after the charging began. Find the value of R.

2. Relevant equations

c=q/v
    q=CE(1-e^-t/RC)
    i=(E/R)e^(-t/RC)

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the charge on the capacitor when its at 4 volts and got 4.0 * 10^-5 C. I then tried to plug this into the equation for a capacitor charging, but I dont know the time at which the capactior is at 4 volts.

At this point, I attempted finding another equation, so I could attempt a system of 2 equations with 2 unknowns. I tried to use the current in a capactor charging equation, but I ended up getting infinitely many solutions.

I am not entirely sure how to approach this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

I thought...

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3
    Use c = q/v to find the charge. Then plug that into the second equation at t = 3 s, because the capacitor begins charging at t = 0. So since it reaches 4 V after 3 s of charging, t = 3 s when the capacitor is charged to 4 V.

5. Apr 8, 2013 #4
    Jesus. I had half of the question cut off at the most important part. Thank you both lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted