Finding the resultant and eq. for 3 vector on one point

In summary, the problem involves finding the resultant and equilibrium of three vectors with given magnitudes and directions. To solve, we must first find the components of each vector along the x and y axes, then use the equations ΣFx = Ax + Bx + Cx and ΣFy = Ay + By + Cy to find the resultant. Remember that for a vector A making an angle θ with the x axis, its x component is Ax = A*cosθ and its y component is Ay = A*sinθ.
needhelp1

Homework Statement

I need help with this homework problem.
1st vector: 80 N & 180 degree
2nd vector: 40 N & 145 degree
3rd vector: 50 N & -50 degree

And I need to find the resultant and the Eq. Where do I start and how do I do it please include answer as I'm confuse and I have a quiz on this soon. thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi needhelp 1, welcome to PF.
Do you know how to find the components of a vector along x and y axis?
If you know find the components and find ΣFx and ΣFy. Then find the resultant.

Thx for the quick reply! Can you guild me through? I don't understand this chapter. I was sick during the week due to a bad flu.

If A is a vector which makes an angle θ with the x axis, what is Ax and Ay?

1. What is the process for finding the resultant and equilibrium for three vectors on one point?

The process for finding the resultant and equilibrium for three vectors on one point involves using vector addition and the concept of equilibrium. First, determine the magnitudes and directions of each vector. Next, use vector addition to find the resultant vector, which represents the combined effect of all three vectors. Finally, to find the equilibrium, set the resultant vector equal to zero and solve for any unknowns.

2. How do I know if the system of three vectors is in equilibrium?

A system of three vectors is in equilibrium if the resultant vector is equal to zero. This means that the combined effect of the three vectors cancels out and there is no net force acting on the point. If the resultant vector is not equal to zero, then the system is not in equilibrium.

3. Can the resultant and equilibrium be found without using vector addition?

No, vector addition is necessary in order to find the resultant and equilibrium for three vectors on one point. This is because the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector are determined by the individual vectors, and cannot be determined without using vector addition.

4. How does the direction of the resultant vector relate to the individual vectors?

The direction of the resultant vector is determined by the individual vectors and is the same as the direction of the vector that has the largest magnitude. This means that the resultant vector will point in the same direction as the individual vector with the greatest impact on the point.

5. Is it possible for the resultant vector to have a magnitude of zero?

Yes, it is possible for the resultant vector to have a magnitude of zero. This would occur when the three vectors are all equal in magnitude and direction, canceling each other out and resulting in no net force on the point. This is known as a condition of static equilibrium.