Finding the Slope of Tangent Line for Polar Curves

  • Thread starter Thread starter Justabeginner
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Slope Tangent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Justabeginner
Messages
309
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Calculate a function of theta that gives the slope of the tangent line (dy/dx) to the polar curve r at some angle theta.


Homework Equations


dy/dx= f'(theta)sin(theta) + f(theta)cos(theta)/[f'(theta)cos(theta) - f(theta) sin(theta)]


The Attempt at a Solution


I am not even understanding what the question is asking. All I know is the formula above. Can someone please help me out? Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That formula is the answer unless you are given some particular equation for the curve.
 
Oh, okay. So they are just asking for me to prove how I got to that using the x= r cos theta, y= r sin theta, and dy/dx= dy/dtheta / dx/dtheta formulas. Thank you!