Finding the Slope of a Polar Curve at a Given Point

In summary, the task is to find the slope of the tangent line to the polar curve r^2 = 9 sin (3θ) at the point (3, π/6). The equation for finding the slope is dy/dx = (r cos θ + sin θ dr/dθ)/(-r sin θ + cos θ dr/dθ). However, there may be two cases where r can equal either +(stuff) or -(stuff), resulting in mirrored behavior of the polar function. By graphing and following the equation, it is confirmed that both cases lead to the same answer.
spinnaker

Homework Statement

Find the slope to the tangent line to the polar curve r^2 = 9 sin (3θ) at the point (3, π/6)

Homework Equations

dy/dx = (r cos θ + sin θ dr/dθ)/(-r sin θ + cos θ dr/dθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have no issues with taking r^2 = 9 sin (3θ) and taking the root to get r = 3√(sin 3θ)
and then subbing that into the equation.

My problem is that it's only one case, and the derivative of a square root of a trig equation is messy. I think I'm missing something - any assistant would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
(i.e. what about the case where r = -3sqrt(sin 3theta)?

I think this is one of those things where only one of the answers you get will make sense with the situation:

If r can equal +- (stuff) that means the function is mirrored about the center of your polar function. I didn't graph it but I think this is like a clover thing, right? Lemme draw it.

It's not very well drawn, but I think it gets the point across. Polar functions are weird lol

Attachments

• pm_r_of_theta.png
    pm_r_of_theta.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 410
Likes 1 person
You were right. I followed it through, and because the two were opposites of each other, I had one case where it was a negative divided by a positive, and the other was a positive divided by a negative, getting the same answer.

Thanks!

No problem

1. What is a polar curve?

A polar curve is a type of curve that is plotted using polar coordinates instead of the traditional Cartesian coordinates. It is represented by an equation in the form of r = f(θ), where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the positive x-axis.

2. How do you differentiate a polar curve?

To differentiate a polar curve, you first need to convert the equation into Cartesian coordinates using the following formulas: x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ). Then, use the standard rules of differentiation to find the derivative of the Cartesian equation with respect to x. Finally, replace x and y with the polar coordinate equivalents to get the derivative of the polar curve.

3. What is the polar derivative formula?

The polar derivative formula is given by the following expression:

r' = [f'(θ)sin(θ) + f(θ)cos(θ)] / [cos²(θ) - f(θ)sin(θ)]

4. Can all polar curves be differentiated?

No, not all polar curves can be differentiated. Some polar curves, such as the cardioid or the lemniscate, have cusps or sharp points that result in undefined derivatives. Additionally, some polar curves may require advanced calculus techniques to differentiate.

5. What is the purpose of differentiating a polar curve?

Differentiating a polar curve allows us to find the slope of the curve at any given point, which can be useful in analyzing the behavior of the curve. It also helps in finding the equations of tangents and normals to the curve, and in determining the maximum and minimum values of the curve.