Finding the solution to a DE with complex roots

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution to the differential equation y''+6y'+13y=0. The individual has found a solution so far, but it involves imaginary numbers. They are questioning if there is a simpler solution without imaginary numbers, but the answer in the back of the book appears to be just a rearranged version of their solution.
Jamin2112
I can't figure out how to get the answer in the back of the book.

y''+6y'+13y=0

So far, I have...

ert (r2 + 6r + 13) = 0
r2 + 6r + 13 = 0
r2 + 6r + ___ = -13 + ___
r2 + 6r + 9 = -13 + 9
(r+3)2 = -4
r = -3 +/- 2i

Then we have a crazy-looking thing after assuming y = C1e(r1)(t) + C2e(r2)(t)

y = e-3t (C1e(2t)i + C2e(-2t)i

And using Euler's formula and simplifying a little bit

y = e-3t ( C1 ( cos(2t) + i*sin(2t) ) + C2( cos(-2t) i*sin(-2t) ) )

The answer in the back of the book, however, is something that doesn't even involve imaginary numbers.

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
What was the answer in the back of the book that you are finding conflict with? Looks right to me assuming you meant the [tex]e^{-3t}[/tex] to multiply the whole thing in yoru last line.

Pengwuino said:
What was the answer in the back of the book that you are finding conflict with? Looks right to me assuming you meant the [tex]e^{-3t}[/tex] to multiply the whole thing in yoru last line.

y=C1e-3tcos(2t) + C2e-3tsin(2t)

There's probably some trig identity eluding me :confused:

I'm pretty sure the answer from the book is just a rearranged form of your equation
y = e-3t ( C1 ( cos(2t) + i*sin(2t) ) + C2( cos(2t) - i*sin(2t) ) )

Just multiply out everything, then you can factor the sine and cosine terms, so it's of the form e-3tcos(2t)+e-3tsin(2t). The rest is just renaming constants, the book solution just absorbed the i into their C2.

1. How do you solve a differential equation with complex roots?

To solve a differential equation with complex roots, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. Both methods involve finding a particular solution and adding it to the general solution of the homogeneous equation.

2. Can complex roots be solutions to a differential equation?

Yes, complex roots can be solutions to a differential equation. In fact, complex roots often arise in second-order differential equations with constant coefficients.

3. What is the significance of complex roots in solving differential equations?

Complex roots in differential equations indicate the presence of oscillatory behavior in the solution. This can be seen in the general solution, which contains a combination of sine and cosine functions.

4. How do you know if a differential equation has complex roots?

A differential equation with complex roots can be identified by the characteristic equation, which is obtained by setting the coefficients of the differential equation to zero. If the roots of the characteristic equation are complex, then the differential equation has complex roots.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving differential equations with complex roots?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of solving differential equations with complex roots. For example, in electrical engineering, complex roots are used to model the behavior of circuits with inductors and capacitors. In physics, complex roots are used to describe the motion of coupled harmonic oscillators. They are also commonly used in the study of vibrations and waves.