DE: Critical Damping Oscillating?

In summary, critical damping is a type of damping that returns a system to equilibrium quickly without oscillating. A critically damped system has repeated roots in its general solution, as shown in the example of y(t)=2e^(-3t) -te^(-3t). This function may cross the origin once, but it is not considered to be oscillating.
austinmw89
I'm having a problem understanding a critical damping model. I know critical damping is supposed to return the system to equilibrium as quickly as possible without oscillating, and a critically damped system will have repeated roots so the general solution will be: c1e^rt + c2te^rt

But what happens when c2 is negative, for instance when solving y''+6y'+9y=0, y(pi)=-(pi-2)e^(-3pi), y'(pi)=(3pi-7)e^(-3pi), the characteristic equation is r^2 +6r +9, r =-3 repeated, then solving for the initial conditions I get: c1=2, c2=-1, then:

y(t)=2e^(-3t) -te^(-3t)

This function drops quickly to 0 at t=2, but then it crosses the origin. I thought it wasn't supposed to oscillate since it's critically damped? I've never taken a physics class so I think I must be missing some physical intuition or something here. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not missing anything. Oscillation means it will cross the t-axis repeatedly. If the system crosses just once, it's not oscillating.

1. What is critical damping oscillating?

Critical damping oscillating is a type of oscillation where the system returns to its equilibrium position without overshooting or oscillating back and forth. It occurs when the damping factor is equal to the critical damping ratio.

2. How is critical damping different from other types of damping?

Critical damping is different from other types of damping, such as over-damping and under-damping, because it results in the fastest return to equilibrium without any oscillation or overshooting.

3. What factors affect the critical damping ratio?

The critical damping ratio is affected by the mass and stiffness of the system, as well as the damping coefficient. A higher mass or stiffness will require a higher damping coefficient to achieve critical damping.

4. What are some real-life examples of critical damping oscillation?

Some real-life examples of critical damping oscillation include shock absorbers in cars, door closers, and hydraulic systems. In these examples, critical damping is necessary to ensure a smooth and efficient return to equilibrium.

5. How is critical damping used in engineering and design?

Critical damping is used in engineering and design to ensure stability and efficiency in systems that require quick and precise return to equilibrium. It is also used to prevent damage to structures or components due to excessive oscillation.