1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the speed of a metal ball

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    alright, so here's my question that i have to answer:
    "A ball of mass .500kg is rolling across a table top with a speed of 5.00 m/s. When the ball reaches the edge of the table, it rolls down a frictionless incline onto the floor 1.00 meter below (without bouncing). What is the speed of the ball when it reaches the floor (just before it touches the floor)?"

I use the equation PEf + KEf = PEi + KEi and then get KEf = PEi, which then leads to
    .5mv^2 = mgh
    From here, I'm stuck. Since the ramp is frictionless, does the ball accelerate the same as it would if it was dropped? And, how would I add in the initial speed of 5.00 m/s?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

But KEi ≠ 0.
    No, it slides down the incline.
    That speed will be reflected in KEi.

4. May 17, 2009 #3
    ok so then i would change my equation to KEf = PEi + KEi, and then from there use the equation KEf = .5mv^2 to solve for the velocity (speed), right?

5. May 17, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook