Finding the speed of a trebuchet

In summary, the conversation discussed a simple trebuchet and its components, including a stiff rod, particles of mass at each end, and a frictionless, horizontal axle. The trebuchet was released from rest in a horizontal orientation and its final speed was calculated using different methods. It was noted that the final speed would depend on the torque applied during its swing and there was a request for help with understanding the concept of rotation of rigid objects.
zewei1988

Homework Statement

A simple trebuchet is shown in the figure. Model it as a stiff rod of negligible mass, 2.70 m long, joining particles of mass 73.0 kg and 0.100 kg at its ends. It can turn on a frictionless, horizontal axle perpendicular to the rod and 12.0 cm from the large-mass particle. The rod is released from rest in a horizontal orientation.

The trebuchet is something like a seesaw with the pivot (in this case) being closer to the heavier weight.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the torque, T = 9.8(73*0.12 - 0.1*(2.7-0.12)) = 83.3Nm
I find the Work, W = integrate T wrt to theta with limits from 0 to pi/2 = 131J
v = sqrt(2*131/0.1) = 51.2m/s

I also tried finding the moment of inertia, I = 67.6kgm2
131 = 0.5 * 67.6 * w2
v = r* w = 5.08m/s

My concept for this topic on rotation of rigid object is very weak, so I hope someone can help me out with this question. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No information has been given on how the rod is driven. Its final speed will depend on the torque applied to it during its swing.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a trebuchet?

The speed of a trebuchet can be calculated by dividing the distance the projectile travels by the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. What factors affect the speed of a trebuchet?

The speed of a trebuchet can be affected by several factors, including the weight and design of the projectile, the length of the throwing arm, the weight of the counterweight, and the angle at which the projectile is launched.

3. Can the speed of a trebuchet be increased?

Yes, the speed of a trebuchet can be increased by adjusting the factors that affect it. For example, increasing the weight of the counterweight or decreasing the weight of the projectile can increase the speed.

4. How accurate is the speed measurement of a trebuchet?

The accuracy of the speed measurement of a trebuchet depends on the precision of the measuring equipment used and the consistency of the launch. With proper equipment and technique, the speed can be measured accurately.

5. What units are used to measure the speed of a trebuchet?

The speed of a trebuchet is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) can also be used.