Finding the tension in a circular pendulum without radius or angle.

In summary: It's not easy to see how to compute that minimum angular velocity from the given data.In summary, a kid is playing with a yoyo of mass m and length L. The yoyo string is spun in a horizontal circle at a constant rate of ω and makes an angle of θ with the horizontal. The tension in the string can be calculated using the equation Tx = Tcosθ = mω2r, where r = L cosθ. The net force in the radial direction is equal to the centripetal force given by mω2r. However, the force along the hypotenuse is less than its y-component, so the normal force from the ground must also be taken into account. Without this additional force,
Parallax

Homework Statement

Some kid is playing with a yoyo of mass m. The yoyo string is let out to length L, and is spun in a horizontal circle at a constant rate of ω. The yoyo string makes an angle of θ with the horizontal
ybzk0dhm.iyi.png

m = 39 grams = 0.039 kilgrams
L = 46cm = 0.46m
ω = 3 rads/sec

Calculate the tension in the string in Newtons.

Homework Equations

Tx = Tcosθ = mω2r = mv2/r

Ty = Tsinθ = mg = 0.3822N

r = L cosθ

h = L sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

The vertical component of the tension was easy, the only force acting in this direction is gravity with a force of m*g Newtons.

The horizontal component is more confusing... Since the height, radius and length of string (hypotenuse) form a right triangle, the lengths of sides should correspond to the ratios on them.

But I don't seem to know the vertical length, just the force's magnitude.
I'm trying to solve for the hypotenuse's force's magnitude, but only know the length.
And I don't seem to know anything at all about the horizontal length/radius of the circle has been formed or its force.

So using Fx^2 + Fy^2 = T^2 or x^2 + y^2 = L^2 is out. The angular velocity seems hard to use without knowing the radius.

Whats a step that takes me to finding the tension, radius, or θ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Parallax said:
Tx = Tcosθ = mω2r

r = L cosθ

This should be sufficient to get tension in the string in terms of given parameters.

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
Welcome to PF!

This should be sufficient to get tension in the string in terms of given parameters.

Do you mean

2Lcosθ ?

That still leaves me with an unknown of T and an unknown of θ

Parallax said:
Do you mean

2Lcosθ ?

That still leaves me with an unknown of T and an unknown of θ

You do not require θ .

Tcosθ = mω2Lcosθ .

Tanya Sharma said:
You do not require θ .

Tcosθ = mω2Lcosθ .
So T = mω2L...

It seems to work, tough I'm still not sure how ω corresponds to 1/s^2. I'm so used to translating it linear units via the radius.

And that the force along the hypotenuse is less than its y component... Blowing my mind.

Last edited:
Parallax said:
So T = mω2L...

Yes

Parallax said:
It seems to work, tough I'm still not sure how ω corresponds to 1/s^2. I'm so used to translating it linear units via the radius.

Sorry...I do not understand your question.The net force in the radial direction is Tcosθ and this force is equal to the centripetal force given by mω2r .Here the radius is Lcosθ .

Could you reexpress your doubt ?

Parallax said:
And that the force along the hypotenuse is less than its y component... Blowing my mind.

No..The force along the hypotenuse is the tension T .The component of which in the vertical direction i.e the y-component is Tsinθ which is less than T .

But the mass * gravity comes to weight of 0.3822 Newtons, and the tension is only 0.1615 Newtons.

Parallax said:
But the mass * gravity comes to weight of 0.3822 Newtons, and the tension is only 0.1615 Newtons.

You haven't taken the normal force from the ground into account. The force equation in the y-direction will be Tsinθ + N = mg .

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
You haven't taken the normal force from the ground into account. The force equation in the y-direction will be Tsinθ + N = mg .

It never even occurred to me that the yoyo was in contact with the grounds. Thanks!

This is a horrible problem in my opinion. The problem never specified that there was contact with a ground, but the numbers they give will not work unless there is some additional force holding the yoyo up. There is, in general, a minimum angular velocity necessary for the yoyo to be suspended by the tension force of the string alone.

1. How is the tension in a circular pendulum without radius or angle calculated?

The tension in a circular pendulum without radius or angle can be calculated using the formula T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can the tension in a circular pendulum without radius or angle change?

Yes, the tension in a circular pendulum without radius or angle can change depending on the mass of the object and the acceleration due to gravity. It can also change if the length of the pendulum changes.

3. How does the length of the pendulum affect the tension without knowing the radius or angle?

The length of the pendulum affects the tension because the longer the pendulum, the greater the distance the object has to travel and therefore, the greater the tension required to keep it in circular motion.

4. What is the role of gravity in determining the tension in a circular pendulum without radius or angle?

Gravity plays a crucial role in determining the tension in a circular pendulum without radius or angle. The tension is directly proportional to the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can the tension in a circular pendulum without radius or angle be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, the tension in a circular pendulum without radius or angle can be greater than the weight of the object. This can happen if the acceleration due to gravity is greater than the weight of the object.