Finding the tension of a string with 2 blocks attached.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hanging block system with two blocks attached by strings, accelerating at a given velocity and time. The task is to find the tensions of both strings using Newton's 2nd Law. The first step is to calculate the acceleration using the formula Vf = Vo + at. The system can then be simplified into one block to calculate the tension using the same formula. Finally, the tensions for both blocks can be defined separately.
rnien

Homework Statement

There is a string hanging down with a 2 kg block attached, at the bottom of this block is another string attached holding another 2 kg block. This has begun to accelerate. The given time is .7 s for acceleration, and the given velocity it reaches is .35.
I have to find the tensions of both the strings, and I am not exactly how to/what formulas to use.

So far I have calculated the acceleration to = .5 m/s2 though.
But I do not know how to use it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the acceleration using Vf = Vo + at then,

Consider the 2 block system as a one block system, calculate the tension.

(Hint: Newtons 2nd Law)

Then define the 2 separate tensions accordingly.

First body: m*a=sum of all forces acting on it=T1-T2-mg
Second body m*a=T2-mg

Adding the two equations gives 2m*a=T1-2mg
T2 can be solved directly.

Edit: sorry Jeques, simultaneous post. I'm happy for the help and will say good night!

1. How do I calculate the tension of a string with 2 blocks attached?

The tension of a string with 2 blocks attached can be calculated by using the equation T = (m1 + m2)g, where T represents the tension, m1 and m2 represent the masses of the two blocks, and g represents the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What units is tension measured in?

Tension is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

3. Does the length of the string affect the tension?

Yes, the length of the string can affect the tension. The longer the string, the greater the tension, as there is more string to support the weight of the blocks.

4. Can the tension of the string change over time?

Yes, the tension of the string can change over time. This can occur if the weight of the blocks changes or if the string stretches or weakens over time.

5. What factors can affect the tension of the string?

The tension of a string with 2 blocks attached can be affected by factors such as the weight of the blocks, the length and material of the string, and external forces such as wind or movement of the blocks.