Finding the the area of the surface at one end of the steel

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a steel tube with given external and internal diameters, as well as a separate problem involving calculating areas of acrylic pieces on a laser cutter. There is a discrepancy in the given answer for the steel tube problem, and question c of the acrylic problem may be incomplete.
chriscarson
Homework Statement
Finding the the area of the surface at one end of the steel
Relevant Equations
pi r 2
Is there any mistake in the following answer because I m always getting the result of 10362 mm 2 ?

A piece of steel tube, has an external diameter of 140mm and an internal diameter of 80mm. What is the area of the surface at one end of the steel?
Answer (13424 mm2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chriscarson said:
Homework Statement:: Finding the the area of the surface at one end of the steel
Homework Equations:: pi r 2

Is there any mistake in the following answer because I m always getting the result of 10362 mm 2 ?

A piece of steel tube, has an external diameter of 140mm and an internal diameter of 80mm. What is the area of the surface at one end of the steel?
Answer (13424 mm2)
I get 10367.

Likes chriscarson
So definitely we are right the answer is wrong .
Thanks

I tried reversing their answer by dividing by pi. I got 4272.99..., suggesting strongly they had 4273 at some point, but that is prime!

haruspex said:
I tried reversing their answer by dividing by pi. I got 4272.99..., suggesting strongly they had 4273 at some point, but that is prime!
I don t know how to reversing but it happens often that there is mistakes . At least in my class.

A piece of acrylic will be accurately cut to size on a laser cutter.
a. Calculate area A. (90000 mm2
)
b. Calculate area B. (360000 mm2
)
c. What is the final area A of the piece, once the centre piece B is removed?
(270000 mm2
)
Also in this one I am suspecting that question c is not making sense but I am not sure . Those in brackets are the answers.

chriscarson said:
A piece of acrylic will be accurately cut to size on a laser cutter.
a. Calculate area A. (90000 mm2
)
b. Calculate area B. (360000 mm2
)
c. What is the final area A of the piece, once the centre piece B is removed?
(270000 mm2
)

Also in this one I am suspecting that question c is not making sense but I am not sure . Those in brackets are the answers.
The problem statement seems to be incomplete, as areas A and B aren't shown. How can one calculate the area without knowing the shape of the piece of acrylic? Is there a drawing of the shapes involved?

Since this is a new question, please start a new thread. Also, see if you can come up with a more informative thread title than "AREA".

Likes berkeman and chriscarson
(Note: Thread title updated from "AREA" to a more descriptive title)

1. How do you find the area of the surface at one end of the steel?

To find the area of the surface at one end of the steel, you will need to measure the length and width of the steel. Then, use the formula A = L x W, where A is the area, L is the length, and W is the width.

2. Do you need any special tools or equipment to find the area of the surface at one end of the steel?

No, you do not need any special tools or equipment. A ruler or measuring tape is all that is needed to measure the length and width of the steel.

3. Can the area of the surface at one end of the steel be different on different types of steel?

Yes, the area of the surface at one end of the steel can vary depending on the type of steel. Different types of steel may have different lengths and widths, resulting in different surface areas.

4. How can knowing the area of the surface at one end of the steel be useful?

Knowing the area of the surface at one end of the steel can be useful for various purposes, such as calculating the amount of paint or coating needed to cover the steel or determining the weight of the steel for transportation purposes.

5. Is the area of the surface at one end of the steel the same as the total surface area?

No, the area of the surface at one end of the steel is only a part of the total surface area. The total surface area includes all sides of the steel, while the area at one end only includes the surface at that specific end.