1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the time it takes for light to pass an object

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure below, a light is incident at angle θ1 = 44° on a series of five transparent layers with parallel boundaries. For layers 1 and 3, L1 = 15 µm, L3 = 27 µm, n1 = 1.79, and n3 = 1.48.

(a) At what angle does the light emerge back into air at the right?

°

(b) How long does the light take to travel through layer 3?

ps

2. Relevant equations

t= LN/C

3. The attempt at a solution
    I plugged in L=27e-6 and N =1.48 and C=3e8 but this gave me 1.336e-13 or .1336 ps which is incorrect, what should I do.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2
    Remember that the light is not traveling on the shortest path through the thickness of the layer, but rather on a diagonal path because of its refraction through the entry surface. So figure out the actual distance traveled through layer 3 first, and then use that as L in your formula.

4. Apr 17, 2012 #3
    Man I have tried every thing from putting 27e-6/sin(44) in rads and degrees to the smae thin using cosine and tangent and I am still not getting the right answer. I have also tried (27e-6)sin(44) in rads and degrees same with cosine and tangent. I also did the same in reverse this did not work either what should I do?

5. Apr 18, 2012 #4
    From the question, it sounds as though it's incident on the first layer from air at the specified angle. But because layer 3 has a different index of refraction than the air, the angle with respect to the normal will be different, in general.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook