1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the total area between the curve and x axis

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1

jtt

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the total area of the region between the curve and the x- axis

2. Relevant equations
    1) y=2-x, 0≤x≤3
    2)y=3x^2-3,-2≤x≤2
    3)y=x^3-3x^2+2x, 0≤x≤2
    4)y= x^3-4x, -2≤x≤2

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried using my graphic calculator to see what the graphs looked like then i copied some of the points off of the table of x and y values so i could hand draw what i saw on the calculator. i'm completely stumped because i don't know if finding the total area for question 1 will be the same for the rest of the problems because it is a straight line not a curve. i am also getting net area confused with total area and don't know the difference between the 2. what about using the Riemann sums or trapezoidal rule? would i have to use it in order to solve these problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Net area is the area above the x-axis, subtracting the area below the x-axis. The total area is the area above the x-axis, adding the area below the x-axis. In essence, the net area of f(x) from a to b is

[tex]\int_a^b f(x) dx[/tex]

While the total area of f(x) from a to b is

[tex]\int_a^b |f(x)| dx[/tex]

Hopefully that'll help.

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is two right triangles. One with height 2 and base 2, the other with height 1 and base 1.

3x^2- 3= 0 is the same as 3x^2= 3. Can you solve that?

y= x(x^2- 3x+ 2)= 0 has x= 0 as one root and x^2- 3x+ 2= 0 is easily solvable.

y= x(x^2- 4)= 0 has x-= 90 as one root and x^2- 4-= 0 is easily solvable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook