Finding the trapezoid of smallest perimeter given a,b,h

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter uman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Perimeter Trapezoid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
uman
Messages
348
Reaction score
1
Hi all,

It seems obvious that the trapezoid with the smallest perimeter given the lengths of the bases and the height is the isosceles trapezoid. How can I prove this (preferably using analytical methods)?

Note: this is not homework or anything. I need to know this as a step to prove the answer to a larger problem that I'm solving for my own pleasure, not for school.

Thanks for the help.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi uman! :smile:

Cut out the clutter …

draw the two obvious triangles, then cut out the rectangle in between, and move the triangles together to make a new triangle …

now all you need is to minimise the perimeter of this new triangle. :wink: