Constructing Four Isosceles Trapezoids

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary, there are four isosceles trapezoids with the same area, each having a lower base ##y_i## and upper base ##x_i##, where ##x_i## and ##y_i## are integers. The angle between the side of length ##y_i## and the adjacent sides is ##45^\circ##. The area of each trapezoid is given by ##A = \frac{y_i + x_i}{2} \frac{y_i - x_i}{2}##. It is necessary to find four factorizations of a whole number less than 29, where each factorization has opposite parities in its terms, in order to satisfy the given conditions. This is because the
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Suppose we have four isosceles triangles with the same area, which must some whole number less than 29. Denote the the lower base and upper base of the i-th triangle with ##y_i## and ##x_i##, respectively. Furthermore, suppose that the angle between the side of length ##y_i## and the adjacent sides is ##45^\circ##. What will the lengths ##x_i## and ##y_i## be?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the angle is ##45^\circ##, the leg of the triangle and the height of the isosceles trapezoid must be equal; that is, ##h = \frac{y_i - x_i}{2}##. Therefore, the area is given by

##\displaystyle A = \frac{y_i + x_i}{2} h##

##\displaystyle A = \frac{y_i + x_i}{2} \frac{y_i - x_i}{2}##

In general, the two factors will not be whole numbers; for instance, ##\displaystyle \frac{y_i + x_i}{2}## will result in a whole number only if ##y_i + x_i## is an even whole number, which can occur when ##x_i## and ##y_i## have the same parity.

This is where I am unsure of how to proceed. I was told that I should look at all the integers in ##\{1,2,3,...,29\}## which could be factored into four different ways, where each term in the factorization has opposite parity. This doesn't really make sense two me. Does ##\displaystyle A = \frac{y_i + x_i}{2} \frac{y_i - x_i}{2}## basically say that the area can be factored into two even integers, and therefore we would want to look for four factorizations with even terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
four isosceles triangles
I finally twigged that you meant four isosceles trapezoids. And it should also be given that the xi and yi are integers, yes?
Bashyboy said:
where each term in the factorization has opposite parity
I see no reason why the parities should not be the same. Just look for values of A that permit four different factorisations.

Ah, I am so sorry. I am so accustomed to saying/writing "isosceles triangles," rather than "isosceles trapezoids."

So, I see that 24 has four factorizations. These would be

##24 \cdot 1##

##12 \cdot 2##

##8 \cdot 3##

##6 \cdot 4##

So, for instance, with regard to the first trapezoid, I could write

##\displaystyle 24 \cdot 1= \frac{y_1 + x_1}{2} \frac{y_1 - x_1}{2}##

What would the justification for writing ##\displaystyle 24 = \frac{y_1 + x_1}{2}## and ##1 = \frac{y_1 - x_1}{2}## ? Would it solely be that, if I were to associate 1 with ##\frac{y_1 + x_1}{2}## and 24 with ##\frac{y_1 - x_1}{2}##, this would lead to one of the variables being a negative number, which we do not want? Or is there some other reason?

EDIT: I don't know why this is not rendering properly. I ran each piece of code through the LaTex previewer, and it worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
So, I see that 24 has four factorizations. These would be
$$24 \cdot 1 \\
12 \cdot 2 \\
8 \cdot 3 \\
6 \cdot 4$$
So, for instance, with regard to the first trapezoid, I could write ## 24 \cdot 1= \frac{y_1 + x_1}{2} \frac{y_1 - x_1}{2} ##

What would be the justification for writing ## 24 = \frac{y_1 + x_1}{2} ## and ## 1 = \frac{y_1 - x_1}{2} ## ? Would it solely be that, if I were to associate 1 with ## \frac{y_1 + x_1}{2} ## and 24 with ## \frac{y_1 - x_1}{2} ## , this would lead to one of the variables being a negative number, which we do not want? Or is there some other reason?

It doesn't produce a feasible isosceles trapezoid, and it only meets the area condition if you regard part of the enclosed space of the self-intersecting polygon as negative.

Likes Bashyboy
So, that would be the only reason: it gives negative dimensions. Okay, thanks!

Bashyboy said:
In general, the two factors will not be whole numbers; for instance, \displaystyle \frac{y_i + x_i}{2} will result in a whole number only if ##x_i + y_i## is an even whole number, which can occur when xix_i and yiy_i have the same parity.

The more that I think about this, the more I think to myself, "is this observation necessary to state?" Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
The more that I think about this, the more I think to myself, "is this observation necessary to state?" Does anyone else feel this way?
Your argument was a bit backwards. When you wrote ## A = \frac{y_i + x_i}{2} \frac{y_i - x_i}{2}## you appear to have assumed that represents the actual factorisation, rather than ## A = \frac{y_i + x_i}{1} \frac{y_i - x_i}{4}## etc. If we start with ##4A = {y}^2 - {x}^2##, all being integers, it's easy to show that x and y have the same parity. It follows that the factorisation as you wrote it necessarily produces integer factors.

I do not understand what made you write ##A = \frac{y_i + x_i}{1} \frac{y_i - x_i}{4}## and then ##4A = y^2 - x^2##. What do you mean by "actual factorization?" Actual factorization of what?

Bashyboy said:
I do not understand what made you write ##A = \frac{y_i + x_i}{1} \frac{y_i - x_i}{4}## and then ##4A = y^2 - x^2##. What do you mean by "actual factorization?" Actual factorization of what?
In the OP, you wrote correctly that ##A = \frac{y_i + x_i}{2} \frac{y_i - x_i}{2}##, then discussed 'the two factors'. But all you had shown is ##A = \frac{(y_i + x_i)(y_i - x_i)}{4}##. So at this point 'the two factors' is not well defined. You assumed a particular factorisation and deduced that x and y had the same parity. That's backwards. You should have proved they had the same parity and deduced the factorisation.

I don't see how it is not well-defined. ##\frac{(y_i + x_i)(y_i-x_i)}{4}## is the exact same thing as ##\frac{(y_i + x_i)}{2}\frac{(y_i-x_i)}{2}##. So, I can look at each individual factor in the product, and determine that they have the same parity. If I want ##\frac{(y_i + x_i)}{2}## to evaluate to some positive integer, then I need the number to be some multiple of ##2##; similarly, the numerator of the quotient ##\frac{(y_i-x_i)}{2}## must be even, if I wish it to be a positive integer.

Here are two things with which I am having trouble. Why does knowing about parity matter? Second, I still do not understand how I can just factor 24 into, say, 2 and 12, and then write ##\frac{y+x}{2} = 12## and ##\frac{y-x}{2} = 2##.

Bashyboy said:
I don't see how it is not well-defined. ##\frac{(y_i + x_i)(y_i-x_i)}{4}## is the exact same thing as ##\frac{(y_i + x_i)}{2}\frac{(y_i-x_i)}{2}##.
Numerically, yes, but in the OP it seemed you went beyond that and required ##\frac{(y_i + x_i)}{2} \times \frac{(y_i-x_i)}{2}## to be a factorisation of A, and, hence, that ##\frac{(y_i + x_i)}{2}## and ##\frac{(y_i-x_i)}{2}## are both integers. Do I misunderstand? I'm saying that you should first have shown that those two terms are integers, and from that deduced that the two terms constitute a factorisation.
Bashyboy said:
Why does knowing about parity matter?
Can you be more specific?
Bashyboy said:
how I can just factor 24 into, say, 2 and 12, and then write ##\frac{y+x}{2} = 12## and ##\frac{y-x}{2} = 2##?
You supposed a pair (x, y), y > x, to be a solution to the question. You showed (except as I've explained) that this implies A can be factored into integers ##\frac{(y + x)}{2}## and ##\frac{(y-x)}{2}##. Therefore every solution corresponds to such a factorisation, so if you go through all the factorisations you can be sure to find all solutions.

1. What exactly is an isosceles trapezoid?

An isosceles trapezoid is a quadrilateral with two parallel sides that are of equal length (called the bases) and two non-parallel sides of equal length (called the legs). It is also known as a trapezium in some countries.

2. How do you construct an isosceles trapezoid?

To construct an isosceles trapezoid, you will need a ruler, a compass, and a pencil. Start by drawing a horizontal line to represent the longer base of the trapezoid. Then, using the compass, draw two arcs with the same radius from each endpoint of the base. These arcs will intersect at the top of the trapezoid. Connect the two intersection points to the endpoints of the base to form the shorter base. Finally, draw two lines connecting the endpoints of the shorter base to the endpoints of the longer base. These lines will be the legs of the trapezoid.

3. What are the properties of an isosceles trapezoid?

There are several properties of an isosceles trapezoid, including: the two base angles are congruent, the two non-parallel sides (legs) are congruent, the diagonals are equal in length, and the sum of the interior angles is equal to 360 degrees. It also has one line of symmetry, dividing the trapezoid into two congruent triangles.

4. Can you construct four isosceles trapezoids with the same dimensions?

Yes, it is possible to construct four isosceles trapezoids with the same dimensions. This can be done by using the same radius for the arcs in step 2 of the construction process. This will ensure that all four trapezoids have the same base and leg lengths.

5. What are the real-life applications of isosceles trapezoids?

Isosceles trapezoids can be found in many everyday objects and structures, such as tables, chairs, bridges, and roofs. They are also commonly used in geometry and architecture for their unique properties and symmetrical shape.